Smoking with Sugarberry (Hackberry)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fattygonnafat

Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Spring, Texas
Hi guys,

Just came across a bunch of fresh Hackberry today. Beautiful wood.

My first reaction was that it probably isn't good to smoke with, however, after doing a bit of research, it appears that if the wood is properly cured, it actually may be a decent option. Apparently has a pecan-like flavor, maybe a bit milder, and burns hot and long. Seems to be a good companion wood for mixing with others.

Anyone have any experience with Hackberry?

How do you like the flavor?

Any favorite woods to mix it with?

Thanks!

not saying ive got my species correct but i was told that a tree i cut down few yrs ago was hackberry. i cut and split it for fire pit. that wood seemed to never dry. a yr later i could burn it and water would come out the end forever. once again disclaimer is not sure if its the correct species.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky