Smoking "Whoops"!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Carvendive

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
NE Wisconsin
Never done this one before... My wife needed a secod oven so I used my rectec. Set it to 350 and it worked great.

Then I did 2 racks of ribs today and (thought) I reset it to 230 - whoops, 330.

An hour later I checked the probes to find the ribs were at 207. So do I throw it out??? No, I'm a cheepscate so how can I fix it?

So I let it cool back down to 90 and then smoked it again (this time at 210). Brougt it up to 170, moped it and put it in foil. Then I brought it up to 194, took it out and put it into a cooler for 2 hrs.

It's dinner time and guests are there. I'm in a panic. I sice and plate it (is everyone going to walk out?)

I got more compliments than ever before.

No, I'm not recommending this as a method . I'm just saying that mistakes can be salvaged. (THANK GOD!!! :-)

Nice job working through a whoops! Awesome that it turned out good for you and thanks for posting this!

Pork or beef, not that it matters. It worked out

Sometimes things just work out great, and sometimes you just go with the flow that was dealt you and they still work out great.

Everyone was happy , so enjoy the win.

David

Nice save! Never heard of doing ribs that way lol! Next question...is this gonna be your go to method now?

Ryan

Nice recovery! I’ve found 300° perfect for ribs - baby backs around 2 hours and St. Louis around 3 hours. I don’t wrap unless I’m trying something special with them. My PBC doesn’t have any temp control and mine runs a little hot. After I started cooking ribs on it, I realized they were the best I’d had. Even if I cook them on my KJ, I’ll run it at 300°, but I keep the PBC specifically for ribs. 8 racks at a time in that small space - who knew??!!

Reactions: Carvendive
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky