Smoking Venison?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rik

Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I have a freezer full of Elk and want to smoke some it, even maybe make jerky in my smoker. I was wondering if anybody had done this before and could pass along some tips. I am new to smoking and could use any advice offered. I have a smoker with a external firebox. I live in Colorado and have access to most types of hardwood for smoking.
Thanks for any advice offered!

Rik

Rik, welcome to SMF. Check out the Jerky forum and the Wild Game forum in the Smoking Meat (and other things) section.

Yes we do. I hunt with several friends in the Spanish Peaks Wilderness area. We have been hunting there for several years now and this is the second elk we have pulled out of there. Do you hunt the NW part of the state?

Wow that sounds good. Right now I have a turkey in the smoker. I used a William's & Sanoma brine my wife bought and it has apples in it. I'm looking forward to seeing how my first turkey comes out!

I have never hunted, but am becoming very interested. I'd like to tag along with some some guys here at work in the near future to get a taste of it all. How was the turkey??

It camer out really well. I posted some pictures in the turkey portion of the forum. I was out bird hunting today and got a couple of pheasants. I plan on smoking them in the near future also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky