Smoking turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

klgoofster

Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
Colorado
Ok I have this awesome brine recipe that I use. My question is what seasonings do I put on the bird? I will be using the drippings pan by putting apple cider and apple juice in it for some flavor and moisture. As a side question without starting a new thread. What's people's opinion on royal oak lump charcoal?

I forgot to mention I forgot what I used last time but I think thyme and rosemary was part of it. Thoughts?

I like to keep the rub simple, SPOG. Salt, pepper, onion, garlic. To that I like to add paprika or chipotle.

I prefer good lump to briquettes.

Depends. For the Thanksgiving turkey that's the centerpiece of the whole table, I like to just salt the skin and give a day to dry out in the fridge. Then I'll rub it with butter and smoke it over high heat. I love that traditional mahogany skin. For just eating, I'll use powdered rosemary and thyme, maybe some lemon juice too. Again, butter or olive oil and salt.

Cool thanks. I will keep it simple and I forgot about the olive oil.

Any tips for using lump coal? I couldn't use it in my last smoker so I never experimented with it.

Again, it all depends. For a turkey smoke, lump is a great choice. It'll give you higher heat, which you want. 325˚-375˚ is a good range, which you should be able to get with lump, depending on your smoker. For high heat, ditch the minion method and just light off a full chimney of coals. What I do is line the bottom of my basket with 1 layer unlit charcoal, then put 3 or 4 wood chunks on top of that, then dump my lit on top of that. The lit coals are using up all available oxygen, so the wood won't flame up. Usually within 10-15 minutes the white smoke gives way to clear, thin blue smoke.

Thanks. I have a good-one open range smoker. So what you described will work great. I will be doing this for thanksgiving. I will be doing it about a week early though because I have to work on thanksgiving this year.

Klgoofster....When I do my Bird, I always have a pan of melted butter to baste with. Keeps the skin from drying out so bad And gives it that beautiful tan.......You could add Dirtsailors SPOGright to the butter.....

Ron

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the Apple Cider/Juice won't do diddly for flavor....

Place a pan with some veggies under the Turkey to make some Gravy. Here's a recipe. Good Luck...JJ

Smokey Turkey Gravy

1- Lg Onion,

4-5 Carrots,

3-4 Ribs Celery

3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Turkey, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,

THEN add 4-6 Cups Chicken Broth,

1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)

1/2tsp Dry Sage (2 sprigs Fresh)

1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want. But add Water to maintain the same level as needed. Adding more Broth will keep reducing and get to salty.

While the Turkey is resting, dump the pan juices, veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus then quickly removed, take off the last little bit of fat.Bring the Jus back to a simmer. Mix 2T Flour and 4T Chicken Broth for each Cup of defatted Jus. Whisk together to make a Slurry with no lumps, add a little additional Broth if needed. Whisk the Slurry into the simmering Jus, bring back to a simmer and cook 5-10 minutes to cook out the flour taste and fully thicken the Gravy. Adjust the seasoning with Salt and Pepper and serve.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

Serve the sliced Turkey with plenty of Gravy and Enjoy...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky