Smoking Turkey on a 22.5" Weber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sl8o3b

Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
I'm quarantined and going crazy. I found out my wife has a 17lb turkey in the freezer. I think it needs to be smoked. I will be using a 22" Weber kettle. I'm familiar with the same method because that's how Ive done butts on my 18".
I've read the snake method on a 22 won't take me to the temps I want, 300-350. I read you get a crispier skin vs doing it below 300.
Then their is the mention method I've never done before. When I look this up sometime s it's people just filling one side up others are just dumping charcoal everywhere but in the moisture pan. Looks like a messy snake.
Suggestions.....

Reactions: kruizer
I have done one turkey on my 22”. I stack my coals to one side and added to them as needed to maintain heat. A 17 pounder that may be tricky

Reactions: kruizer
I've done turkeys on the BBQ many times but not sure I'd call it smoking. I use mesquite charcoal with indirect heat (best you can on a 22") and put the tied seasoned bird in a foil pan with the bird on a adjustable V rack. Add some liquid to the pan (your choice) along with onions etc if you want and cover with foil. After about 2 or 3 hours depending on your cooking environment (temp/consistent/duration/liquid) pull the foil off and cook for about 20-30 more mins to crisp up the skin. Remember you're not making stew so not a lot of liquid..you can add some during the cooking so you don't run dry..the liquid helps keep the bird moist and the V rack keeps the bird out of the juice. Happy quarantine cooking 👍

Sorry for the bold. It won't go away.

I think the smallest turkey I've smoked in the last decade was 16 lbs, and until this year I did 4-6 a year. Usually 18-23 lbs. Used the Kettle many times. Aim for 300F+ on the grate. Low temp is not for poultry unless you're going to crisp the skin in a HOT oven.

I like to spatchcock the bird on the Kettle, but the pan like 3-2-1 mentioned works great, too. Build your fire to one side and bury your wood chunks under the cold charcoal. At TBS, put the breast and top vent opposite the fire. If you start with the breast side down for the first 90 mins, then flip the bird breast up, the breast and thighs will finish about the same time and you won't overcook the breast (trick I learned last year after hundreds of turkeys). Only add hot charcoal, not cold, if you're running low. No need to add additional wood.

Bird should finish in 2.5 to 4 hours, about 25% longer if still partially frozen, twice as long if still mostly frozen (voice of experience).

Now I'm looking forward to doing my next bird after the break this year.

Thanks all for the feedback on the bird. I ll post some pics and let you know how it turned.

Please post up pics of this smoke. I'm interested in seeing how it goes. If your not planning on spatchcocking the bird then make sure it will fit whole under the lid before you unwrap it. If your kettle is like mine with the hook you may have a clearance problem. If you have the slide aside then you should be ok. Whole turkey is one thing I've never done in my kettle - I've always used the WSM for the big birds. Good luck and enjoy.

noboundaries noboundaries the skin doesn't stick to the grate when you start the bird breast side down?

Chris

Best method for me is 2 hours or so in the smoker at 180-225 then into a cooking bag then the oven to finish,

I've done several whole turkeys on a 22 " kettle . That's really how I started 30 years ago .
Weber used to include a cooking guide with the kettles . Certain amount of coals on each side , then add so many an hour per side for the time duration . Tied the bird , right on the rack over a foil drip pan under the grate . Breast side up . Never took the birds temp , didn't know how hot or cold the grill was . Cooked by time per pound . Always came out fantastic .
That was then ,,,
Now I do temp the bird . Either with a instant read or wire less , or both .
I set the fire up the same , but like the rack in a pan to put the bird on . Just makes it easier to move .
I've had my 26 at 400 degrees using a snake . Just depends how much charcoal you use and how hard you light it . I don't use a snake for poultry , but if I did I would light both end and let it meet in the middle .
I did a chicken over the weekend . This is how I set it up .

20201011_144401.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky