Smoking to a powder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I use almost any red pepper.  I simply core and devein  them and cut into halves or quarters depending on their size.  Throw them on the smoker with any meat I happen to be smoking.  2 to 2 1/2 hours will usually dry them sufficiently with occasional turning.  Cool and grind in a coffee grinder.  Not hard at all.

Good luck and good smoking.

If you are using a water pan or if there is much meat in there giving off moisture, you may need to dehydrate them after smoking. I did up a couple of pounds of hatch chile in the smoker last year, then I dehydrated them. After that I popped them in my blendtec blender that will make a powder out of just about anything, if it is dry. If they are still leathery it would turn into a sticky paste. 

Good luck, I use my green chipotle powder on a lot of things. Oh, and you might want to have a window open if you are blending the powder. It gets in the air and burns the nostrils causing a lot of sneezing. But its worth it!

Yes, you need to be sure they are totally dry.  A damp towel draped over the blender helps with the powder, but be careful when pouring.  LOL

Good luck and good smoking!

I love peppers  and  will have to try it.This year i have bell, banna {sweet} cayan,serono about 20to80 plants in all some are still verry small and some are produceing

If you are using a water pan or if there is much meat in there giving off moisture, you may need to dehydrate them after smoking. I did up a couple of pounds of hatch chile in the smoker last year, then I dehydrated them. After that I popped them in my blendtec blender that will make a powder out of just about anything, if it is dry. If they are still leathery it would turn into a sticky paste. 

Good luck, I use my green chipotle powder on a lot of things. Oh, and you might want to have a window open if you are blending the powder. It gets in the air and burns the nostrils causing a lot of sneezing. But its worth it!
If you don't have too many peppers, you can toast them in a dry pan over a burner. This should remove any residual moisture. And yes, if they aren't completely dry, they will creat a paste while in the grinding process.It's all good my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky