Smoking to a powder

Discussion in 'Peppers' started by gotcountry, Apr 21, 2011.

1. If I wanted to smoke jalapenos/habaneros to a powder, can I do it strictly with my WSM? or do I need a dehydrator to finish them?

Thanks!

2. redneck69

redneck69 Smoking Fanatic

i dont think you can smoke them to a powder....they need to be ground up for that.

3. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I use almost any red pepper.  I simply core and devein  them and cut into halves or quarters depending on their size.  Throw them on the smoker with any meat I happen to be smoking.  2 to 2 1/2 hours will usually dry them sufficiently with occasional turning.  Cool and grind in a coffee grinder.  Not hard at all.

Good luck and good smoking.

4. Thanks! That was what I was hoping!

5. If you are using a water pan or if there is much meat in there giving off moisture, you may need to dehydrate them after smoking. I did up a couple of pounds of hatch chile in the smoker last year, then I dehydrated them. After that I popped them in my blendtec blender that will make a powder out of just about anything, if it is dry. If they are still leathery it would turn into a sticky paste. 

Good luck, I use my green chipotle powder on a lot of things. Oh, and you might want to have a window open if you are blending the powder. It gets in the air and burns the nostrils causing a lot of sneezing. But its worth it!

6. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yes, you need to be sure they are totally dry.  A damp towel draped over the blender helps with the powder, but be careful when pouring.  LOL

Good luck and good smoking!

7. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nothing like a little pepper dust in the air to clear your sinus out!

8. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

I love peppers  and  will have to try it.This year i have bell, banna {sweet} cayan,serono about 20to80 plants in all some are still verry small and some are produceing

9. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If you don't have too many peppers, you can toast them in a dry pan over a burner. This should remove any residual moisture. And yes, if they aren't completely dry, they will creat a paste while in the grinding process.It's all good my friend.

10. mco

mco Smoke Blower

Tie the stems on a string and hangem outside and let the air and sun dry them out, then grind.