• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoking to a powder

gotcountry

Joined Apr 18, 2011
If I wanted to smoke jalapenos/habaneros to a powder, can I do it strictly with my WSM? or do I need a dehydrator to finish them?

Thanks!

redneck69

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 26, 2010
i dont think you can smoke them to a powder....they need to be ground up for that.

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 1, 2008
I use almost any red pepper.  I simply core and devein  them and cut into halves or quarters depending on their size.  Throw them on the smoker with any meat I happen to be smoking.  2 to 2 1/2 hours will usually dry them sufficiently with occasional turning.  Cool and grind in a coffee grinder.  Not hard at all.

Good luck and good smoking.

cppbrian

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 23, 2009
If you are using a water pan or if there is much meat in there giving off moisture, you may need to dehydrate them after smoking. I did up a couple of pounds of hatch chile in the smoker last year, then I dehydrated them. After that I popped them in my blendtec blender that will make a powder out of just about anything, if it is dry. If they are still leathery it would turn into a sticky paste. 

Good luck, I use my green chipotle powder on a lot of things. Oh, and you might want to have a window open if you are blending the powder. It gets in the air and burns the nostrils causing a lot of sneezing. But its worth it!

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 1, 2008
Yes, you need to be sure they are totally dry.  A damp towel draped over the blender helps with the powder, but be careful when pouring.  LOL

Good luck and good smoking!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Nothing like a little pepper dust in the air to clear your sinus out!

michael ark

Master of the Pit
Joined Feb 11, 2011
I love peppers  and  will have to try it.This year i have bell, banna {sweet} cayan,serono about 20to80 plants in all some are still verry small and some are produceing

richoso1

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 21, 2007
If you are using a water pan or if there is much meat in there giving off moisture, you may need to dehydrate them after smoking. I did up a couple of pounds of hatch chile in the smoker last year, then I dehydrated them. After that I popped them in my blendtec blender that will make a powder out of just about anything, if it is dry. If they are still leathery it would turn into a sticky paste. 

Good luck, I use my green chipotle powder on a lot of things. Oh, and you might want to have a window open if you are blending the powder. It gets in the air and burns the nostrils causing a lot of sneezing. But its worth it!
If you don't have too many peppers, you can toast them in a dry pan over a burner. This should remove any residual moisture. And yes, if they aren't completely dry, they will creat a paste while in the grinding process.It's all good my friend.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.