Smoking then oven finished gold grade prime rib looking for suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoginme

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 17, 2020
So I picked up an American/Wagyu gold grade 8-10lb from SRF for Christmas during their BF deal. I’m looking for some thoughts on what I’m planning on doing with it. We will be traveling a short distance with the prime rib, I was wanting to get some smoke on it on my offset, I was thinking about smoking at 200-215 for 3-4 hrs for no longer than it takes to get IT to 110ish, pull it foil it then transport to next destination and roast in oven until medium rare just short of 7 degrees wrap again let rest for 30-45 min. Just going SPG for the smoke part then probably get some fresh rosemary and olive oil on it for the oven part.

I also have 3-4 people who won’t go for medium rare so I’ll need to take those to medium-medium well. Maybe I cut it in half do one to med rare and the other to medium-medium well? Just finish the medium rare sliced pieces in the oven to medium-medium well?

Reactions: JLeonard
There are a couple of ways I can think of but will depend on what equipment is available at your destination. First would be to put their slices on a gas or charcoal grill - great steak. Second would be a cast iron skillet with some butter. There is also the restauranter's trick of dropping their thinner slices into a pan full of Au Ju for a couple of minutes as it will remove the red look but maintain flavor. Here's a quick version of Au Ju that works:

1 1/2 cups water
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 dash kitchen bouquet
2 tsp butter
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
pepper, to taste

Simmer 2 to 3 minutes

It sounds like a good plan to me, as long as your destination is close to you. That is an expensive roast, so I’m sure you want it to be perfect. We like ours rare, but I would eat med/rare in a heartbeat. One thing that has worked for me is to nuke the slices for 30-40 seconds & it will turn rare to med/rare, or med/rare to med, and that will satisfy the folks that like their roast way too done for me. And with a nice Au Jus I bet you will be the King!
Al

Reactions: hoginme
My recommendation would be to cook the whole roast to medium rare then slice off what the non-believers want :emoji_wink: From there you can toss theirs on the grill, back in the oven, or even into the microwave to finish to medium / medium well. No sense trashing half the roast for the sake of a couple people, especially a roast of that quality. Just my opinion but that's what I'd do if in your situation.

Robert

One thing that has worked for me is to nuke the slices for 30-40 seconds & it will turn rare to med/rare, or med/rare to med, and that will satisfy the folks that like their roast way too done for me.

Wow Al. You hit the send button as I was still typing :emoji_wink:

Robert

Ok great appreciate the replies, over half of us do like rare to a little medium rare-ish. I have access to a propane grill. I’ll cook to rare and let sit wrapped to take it just a little higher than finish on the grill for the other non connoisseurs of how beef should be!!

Reactions: JLeonard
I agree with most... I'd cook it rare/medrare and microwave the others. If they want to ruin my expensive nice cut of meat with well done, I'm not putting in any more effort than 45 seconds in a microwave. Maybe give them some ketchup or A1 sauce too.
That's my two cents...

So I picked up an American/Wagyu gold grade 8-10lb from SRF for Christmas during their BF deal. I’m looking for some thoughts on what I’m planning on doing with it. We will be traveling a short distance with the prime rib, I was wanting to get some smoke on it on my offset, I was thinking about smoking at 200-215 for 3-4 hrs for no longer than it takes to get IT to 110ish, pull it foil it then transport to next destination and roast in oven until medium rare just short of 7 degrees wrap again let rest for 30-45 min. Just going SPG for the smoke part then probably get some fresh rosemary and olive oil on it for the oven part.

I also have 3-4 people who won’t go for medium rare so I’ll need to take those to medium-medium well. Maybe I cut it in half do one to med rare and the other to medium-medium well? Just finish the medium rare sliced pieces in the oven to medium-medium well?

If you're actually going to do that like that, I would make sure you don't inject it, or Temp Probe it too early (Maybe 2 hours).
My Thinking is if you're only going to take it to 110° IT in 3-4 hours, you're still pretty well in the Danger Zone (40 to 140°). Then you're planning on transporting it. So add that 3-4 hours to your transporting time, and I have no idea how long that is since I don't know how far you're transporting it, and you'll be in the Danger Zone that whole Time.

Like I said, I don't see a problem, as long as you don't inject it, or probe it before the outside gets above 140°.

You can check with ChefJJ, but these are my thoughts of your plan. He knows this kind of thing better than I do.

Bear

Reactions: hoginme and schlotz
If you're actually going to do that like that, I would make sure you don't inject it, or Temp Probe it too early (Maybe 2 hours).
My Thinking is if you're only going to take it to 110° IT in 3-4 hours, you're still pretty well in the Danger Zone (40 to 140°). Then you're planning on transporting it. So add that 3-4 hours to your transporting time, and I have no idea how long that is since I don't know how far you're transporting it, and you'll be in the Danger Zone that whole Time.

Like I said, I don't see a problem, as long as you don't inject it, or probe it before the outside gets above 140°.

You can check with ChefJJ, but these are my thoughts of your plan. He knows this kind of thing better than I do.

Bear
Appreciate it, I’m only transporting it like 10min away. At this point I think I’m going to let it ride on the offset until temp, wrap and hold until ready to serve. I was hoping to hang out with a few family members at our destination but I spent enough dough I might as well do what I know best and thats run meat on the offset.

I also tried out a new Wagyu meat company down the road from me for some beef bones. I picked up 35#’s. Pretty good guys, their product looks to be good. I’ll try some beef from them my next go. Vet owned and operated, not sure if any of you have bought from them and have experience? Bones look real good I’m going to throw a pack in the oven this weekend.
76B9D771-EE57-4E30-AE28-C57FF31A7D3B.jpeg
712D4EE7-711D-4833-B973-96D5516C0F38.jpeg
DE114624-1281-483D-9170-05D851C324C2.jpeg

Last edited:
Appreciate it, I’m only transporting it like 10min away. At this point I think I’m going to let it ride on the offset until temp, wrap and hold until ready to serve. I was hoping to hang out with a few family members at our destination but I spent enough dough I might as well do what I know best and thats run meat on the offset.

I also tried out a new Wagyu meat company down the road from me for some beef bones. I picked up 35#’s. Pretty good guys, their product looks to be good. I’ll try some beef from them my next go. Vet owned and operated, not sure if any of you have bought from them and have experience? Bones look real good I’m going to throw a pack in the oven this weekend.
View attachment 473324View attachment 473325

Cool !!
Sounds like a Great Outfit to deal with !

Bear

Since you are only mins away. Cook roast to how you want it. Hell I'd let that thing rest at least 30 min before slicing

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky