Smoking the Staples Today (Brisket and Ribs) Q-Vue on the PBC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

millerbuilds

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2013
Little Elm, TX
Last week my wife picked up this cute little brisket from Sprouts.  Today I am going to smoke it along with some ribs.  

For the Brisket, I trimmed and rubbed it yesterday. Standard process except this time I cut some slits in the fat and pushed some chunks of garlic in.   I am going to toss it on my Pit Barrel Cooker, this is the first time I have done a Brisket on the PBC.  I have held back and done them only on my offset stick burner.

Wish me luck!

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Brisket is on.

I also tried something new.  I kept a few of my trimmings from the brisket and tossed them on the grate to add some additional flavor as they drip onto the coals.  Not sure how much it will add, but what the heck!

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Last edited:
Going to be adding some Baby Backs to the line up here shortly.

Unlike the Brisket, I did not prep it yesterday.  I find that if ribs (Baby Backs in particular) sit covered in rub for more that 5-6 hours, they become too over powered by the rub and cover up that wonderful smoke flavor.  I threw some yellow mustard and my Rib rub on them.  My Rib Rub is the same as my standard rub minus the cayenne pepper and I double the amount of brown sugar.  Let me know if you want the specifics.

Here they are rubbed and ready for a rest in the fridge.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Last edited:
Looks good. Sprouts is great. They are expensive but the go to for good ingredients and meat counter. Anyways, the brisket looks good. Do you get different results hanging as opposed to just laying on a grate?

Looks good. Sprouts is great. They are expensive but the go to for good ingredients and meat counter. Anyways, the brisket looks good. Do you get different results hanging as opposed to just laying on a grate?
Thanks.

The PBC is set up to hang meat.  This is my first time with a brisket hanging and in the PBC.  I typically lay them in my stick burner.  I have had great success with hanging other meats, hopefully I will have great results with the brisket as well!

I will keep you posted.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

After 3 hours 45 minutes it hit the stall.  Quite quick, but it is a small brisket and the PBC runs at 270 degrees.

Wrap and let it finish.

BTW, I am smoking it with Pecan today.  Normally I like oak or an oak and pecan blend.  

Smoke On!

- Jason

Just pulled the Brisket.  It jumped from 198 - 211 quick.  I hope it is good, letting it rest for 4 hours in a cooler.

Time for the Ribs.  I added some Cherry and Apple to the PBC and dropped in the ribs.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

I just realized that my final post on this cook never posted.

Here is the final product,  The brisket was good, but a bit tough even though I cooked it to 205 and wrapped and rested for 2.5 hours, I think is was just a so so cut of meat that my Wife picked up.  Going forward no cuts under 10 lbs.  The  ribs were perfect!

A

Also note that I took the picture of the brisket before realizing I had cut with the grain.  The rest were cut correctly :)

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Reactions: SmokyMose
The brisket and ribs both look fantastic, Miller! Nice smoke ring on both and you can see the juicy....
I've cut wrong to the grain more than once. They tasted the same so "No harm, No foul"!

:points:

I just realized that my final post on this cook never posted.

Here is the final product,  The brisket was good, but a bit tough even though I cooked it to 205 and wrapped and rested for 2.5 hours, I think is was just a so so cut of meat that my Wife picked up.  Going forward no cuts under 10 lbs.  The  ribs were perfect!

A

Also note that I took the picture of the brisket before realizing I had cut with the grain.  The rest were cut correctly :)

Smoke ON!

- Jason
The brisket and ribs both look fantastic, Miller! Nice smoke ring on both and you can see the juicy....
I've cut wrong to the grain more than once. They tasted the same so "No harm, No foul"!

points.gif
Thanks Smokey!

I changed the cut, so it was only the first two slices.  

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky