Smoking Thanksgiving Ham - Cured Raw vs Pre-Cooked?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brandonb

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
I want to smoke a ham for Thanksgiving. I've been reading around on the forum and realized that it's a bit too late for me to cure my own so my options are now to either smoke a cured raw ham or a pre-cooked ham. I see a lot of posts about smoking a pre-cooked ham. What is the difference (outcome) between smoking a cured raw ham and a pre-cooked ham? I would imagine you can impact more flavor on a raw ham instead of a pre-cooked but that doesn't explain why so many people are smoking pre-cooked hams. I also assume that you can smoke a pre-cooked to 140-145 while you need to smoke a raw ham to 165 or so. I'm just trying to figure out what will give me the best (I know its subjective) and most flavorful ham. 

Thanks!

Some of my notes:

Ham - Cooked / Uncooked

Fully Cooked Ham - A ham that has been thoroughly heated during some part of the processing to a temperature exceeding 147° F, making it ready to eat without further cooking. These hams are found labeled "Fully Cooked," "Ready to Eat," or "Heat and Serve." They may be eaten right out of the package or they can be warmed to an internal temperature of 140° F to provide a richer flavor.

Pre-Cooked Ham - A ham that has been heated during some part of the processing to an internal temperature exceeding 137°F but less than 148° F. Most commercially processed hams are heated to a temperature of 140° F. Temperatures reaching 137° F will kill the trichina parasite. A partially cooked ham still requires additional cooking prior to eating. It must be heated to an internal temperature of 160° F.

Uncooked Ham - A ham that had not reached an internal temperature exceeding 137° F during processing. Uncooked hams are generally dry-cured hams, although dry-cured hams are also available fully cooked. An uncooked ham requires more preparation time and cooking time than a partially or fully cooked ham.

A Fresh Picnic Ham is a raw ham. When smoking, curing is not needed. Shoot for 175 to 180* internal.
This temp if for WELL done, Bodine pulls at 150*.

Thanks for the explanations. 

I was hoping someone could provide comparisons of the end result of smoking a cooked vs uncooked ham. I'm trying to decide what are the pros and cons of doing each to help me figure out which one I want to smoke next week.

icon_cool.gif

I'm voting for a fresh raw ham. The you can smoke it and have some really good leftovers. Now the pre-cooked hams you run the risk of over cooking them during the re-heat. To me the fresh is the way to go but thats my pennies.

That's what I figured. I just saw a lot of posts about people smoking pre-cooked hams and I wondered why they'd do that over a raw cured ham.

icon_cool.gif

I'm voting for a fresh raw ham. The you can smoke it and have some really good leftovers. Now the pre-cooked hams you run the risk of over cooking them during the re-heat. To me the fresh is the way to go but thats my pennies.

I have done the pre-cooked several times and they have come out great. They have plenty of smoke flavor and they are not dry either. Just rub them really good with your favorite rub and smoke it, you can make a glaze and apply to it at the end if you want it. I have done both and both ways are good.

So buying a picnic and cooking like pulled pork will result in a traditional ham taste, thought that was from the brine/cure. I looking to cook a ham for my family, would like to do it all myself(curing if needed). I get confused on curing though, some places I read shows curing for days some say weeks. Not sure if there is a difference between mortan insta cure vs #1. Also don't know where to buy #1 cure at. Any help would be great :)

So buying a picnic and cooking like pulled pork will result in a traditional ham taste, thought that was from the brine/cure. I looking to cook a ham for my family, would like to do it all myself(curing if needed). I get confused on curing though, some places I read shows curing for days some say weeks. Not sure if there is a difference between mortan insta cure vs #1. Also don't know where to buy #1 cure at. Any help would be great :)

A uncured picnic will give you pulled pork. You would need to cure to make a ham. Check this thread out http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/89979/from-hog-leg-to-easter-ham/0_40

Here is a thread of a Boston butt cured in Pop's brine and smoked to a high IT of 205. A picnic ham would do the same thing. The window of time it will take to brine and get it done for Thanksgiving is getting short. (10-14 days in the brine) You can order cure #1 at Sausage Maker or any of the sausage supply stores. Bass Pro, Cabelas etc usually will have LEM cure #1 (same thing)

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/147272/labor-day-ham-butts-started-in-pops-brine-tonight

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky