Smoking Salt - what am I doing wrong?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indianaman79

Original poster
May 4, 2012
heres my set up

electric smoker
both days i've cooked have been 50-70 degrees
using hickory pellets for both smokes
pellets are held in an Amazin pellet tube
cooked at 275 for 11 hours for both smokes

I've made 2 attempts which are included in the picture. The bottom salt is smoked 11 hours at 275 with a single Amazin pellet tube and i did not stir the salt during the 11 hours.

The top salt is smoked 11 hours at 275 with 2 Amazin pellet tubes going at the same time. I would also take it out every 2 hours and stir for better exposure.

I've been searching different methods and from everything i've seen when people hot smoke their salt for 8-12 hours its more of an amber color where mine is maybe a light brown. How is it that I can put double the amount of smoke in a smoker and the salt comes out lighter? what am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 35
You want to cold smoke the salt. No heat. Just use the amazn with whatever pellets you like. If you have some of the large Bunn coffee filters they work great for cold smoked salt and spices.
Mesh kitchen sink strainers work great for coarse salt and pepper corns

Reactions: jokensmoken
I don't smoke salt all that often, but when I do I cold smoke it using one of those splatter guards for a frying pan. Stir it every couple of hours until the color is even thru and thru. If the taste isn't strong enough for ya repeat the next day.

Chris

Reactions: JJS
I don't smoke salt all that often, but when I do I cold smoke it using one of those splatter guards for a frying pan. Stir it every couple of hours until the color is even thru and thru. If the taste isn't strong enough for ya repeat the next day.

Chris
yep yep thats the way i do it, well used too..cant eat salt anymore but ill throw a handful on a paper plate in whenever i smoke my cheeses. good luck!

Chris

i never thought to smoke again the next day - good idea!

heres my set up

electric smoker
both days i've cooked have been 50-70 degrees
using hickory pellets for both smokes
pellets are held in an Amazin pellet tube
cooked at 275 for 11 hours for both smokes

I've made 2 attempts which are included in the picture. The bottom salt is smoked 11 hours at 275 with a single Amazin pellet tube and i did not stir the salt during the 11 hours.

The top salt is smoked 11 hours at 275 with 2 Amazin pellet tubes going at the same time. I would also take it out every 2 hours and stir for better exposure.

I've been searching different methods and from everything i've seen when people hot smoke their salt for 8-12 hours its more of an amber color where mine is maybe a light brown. How is it that I can put double the amount of smoke in a smoker and the salt comes out lighter? what am I doing wrong?
Hot smoking works great. Try for 225 degrees and watch the tube closely. They can smolder easily creating harsh bitter smoke or soot if not burning clean with the famous blue smoke. Maybe try to relight them and have a little airflow if you start to see white colored smoke. Let me know what you figure out. Smoking Maldon right now on stainless screens on GMG pellet at 225 with Texas blend pellets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky