Smoking Ribs using Smokenator

Discussion in 'Pork' started by bosox20, May 9, 2014.

1. bosox20

bosox20 Smoke Blower

Pa
    Just got the Smokenator delivered for my Weber Kettle. Anyone have any advice on using it ? Does it work well? I will be making some ribs with it this weekend. Maybe Sunday. I will post pics if interested. Thanks

2. brooksy

brooksy Master of the Pit

Always interested in pics of food!!

3. yotzee

yotzee Smoking Fanatic

There are some great videos on YouTube showing how to use it

4. bosox20

bosox20 Smoke Blower

Pa
    Thanks. I did watch them but always good getting more opinions or advice. Seems pretty easy to use.

5. I've got a Smokenator... used as directed it does a nice job. For ribs, just use your favorite method... I've smoked three to four slabs at a time using a rib rack. Kingsford and Hickory chunks work well for me... 

I just trim, remove the membrane and rub the ribs. Spritz them once in a while... mostly for my entertainment. I don't foil mine... usually five hours or so until they pass the bend test... then I eat em! :)

The Weber Kettle's will smoke just fine without the Smokenator, however I think the Smokenator does help with temp control... I like it and use it once in a while. I'm going to smoke a pork loin tomorrow while we are camping and think I'll use the Weber / Smokenator for that smoke...

Have fun!

6. bosox20

bosox20 Smoke Blower

Pa
    Thanks! About 45 unlit coals and then add 12 lit?

7. I just pack the thing with as many as I can... Then pull out 14 to light then add them back. I just set the water pan up on the grill rack... This way I have more coals and a longer burn time...

8. bosox20

bosox20 Smoke Blower

Pa
    Rub applied. Can't wait for tomorrow [​IMG]

camping hoosiers likes this.
  9. bosox20

bosox20 Smoke Blower

Pa
    Coals in and starter coals lit. [​IMG]

10. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'm watching this one! Thanks for the qview. Keep it coming.

[​IMG]

Disco

11. bosox20

bosox20 Smoke Blower

Pa
    Not sure what thermometer to trust. The dome lid and a 7 inch stick thermometer I have stinking into vent holes both say 275 yet a I device thermometer probe just laying on the grate says 185. That probe is usually for food so I'm not sure of my correct temp. 2 say one thing and one says another??

12. bosox20

bosox20 Smoke Blower

Pa
    [​IMG]

2 hours in.

13. bosox20

bosox20 Smoke Blower

Pa
    Not sure I like this Smokenator. I had an easier time controlling temps without it.

14. bosox20

bosox20 Smoke Blower

Pa
    3 hours of smoke. Time to foil [​IMG]

15. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

When I lay my probe right on the grill I read 15 to 20 F higher. My two probe remote has a clip that holds the probe off the grill and I get a truer reading.

16. bosox20

bosox20 Smoke Blower

Pa
    Last phase. Basting my homemade sauce on ribs!![​IMG]

17. brooksy

brooksy Master of the Pit

Those ribs look pretty tasty!

18. bosox20

bosox20 Smoke Blower

Pa
    [​IMG]

Not a bad smoke ring. They turned out great. Not fall off the bone but as soon as I took a bite it fell off!! Perfect I think.

19. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nothing wrong with them ribs, looks good & real tasty ! Great job ! Thumbs Up

20. bosox20

bosox20 Smoke Blower

Pa
    Thanks👍👍