Smoking pork but - 1st try

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

husker3in4

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
Ok, so its not my FIRST try, I have done maybe 3 in the past few years, but its been probably 2 years since I have tried one. I have my ribs down to just how I like them, they always turn out great! Now onto the butt, I smoked a 7lb boston butt (bone in), it took just over 8 hrs @ 250 degrees. I used apple pellets, kept the smoke going for the majority of the time. It turned out very tender, but.. it just didn't have as much flavor as I had hoped. The ribs I had done since I switched to using pellets turned out with even more smoke flavor than when I used chips, which is what I wanted. But the butt.. not sure what to do to get more smoke flavor.

Here is what I did with the pork butt: Rinsed it, slathered it in mustard, applied my rub generously (same rub I use for ribs) Let sit for about 45 mins on the counter, put it in the smoker. I added more pellets during the smoke but otherwise never bothered the butt at all. I took it out of the smoker once the internal temp hit 200. I let it sit on the counter for another 30 mins before pulling. It was nice and tender, but missing the level of sweet smokey flavor I was going for. Im not a big fan of BBQ sauce on pulled pork, because even a little will completely take over the flavor and ruin it and also make it mushy.

So, question #1: How do I get more flavor, especially more smoke flavor? Question #2: Ideally, id love to mimic Famouse Daves pork butt as it seems to be more "chunked" than pulled, and is full of flavor without being too hot. When I tried to "chunk" mine, it still just shredded because it was so tender. To achieve more of a chunking effect, should I totally cool and refrigerate before chopping it? Any advice is appreciated!

worthless.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky