Smoking partially thawed shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MelonSC

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Omaha, Nebr
Through a miscommunication with my wife, she pulled a shoulder out of the freezer to thaw since I mentioned making pulled pork. I don't expect it to be fully thawed when I put it on the smoker.

My question is everything will be fine, right? Not being thawed completely just adds to the cook time? I did pick up the shoulder on sale, I'd prefer it not to go to waste.

Thanks!

Yea, that’s pretty much true. Main thing y’all are looking for is an Internal Temp(IT) of around 200, some say 203, but about there. That’ll get you the fall off the bone pork that most everyone looks for. If you wanted, you could wrap in foil or butcher paper at about 170 and have about 4 hours left roughly..

Good luck! I’m sure it’ll be fine, pork is a forgiving meat for the most part

Thanks everyone! I'll check on it in a few hours - wide awake at 330am for some ungodly reason - and decide whether to toss it on today or start it early Sunday.

Yeah, never went back to sleep. It went on the smoker at 4am, it's now going on 1pm and is up to 164 with the temp set at 250. It should have no problem being done before dinner.

Attachments

• 20200125_040609.jpg
    20200125_040609.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: WildewoodBBQ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky