Smoking mixed nuts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
I had seen a post not long ago about someone smoking mixed nuts... think it might have been with a batch of cheese, but can't seem to find it now. Not looking to change the flavor or seasonings at all, just try them smoked. Have a batch of cheese to do and more paprika but doubt I could get any paprika to the smoker... very windy and a blizzard.

Thanks
Ryan

I used to do mixed nuts all the time . I used to use brown sugar and add seasonings . Came out like smoked brittle , because it would stick together . Really good , but that was a high temp smoke .

I used to do mixed nuts all the time . I used to use brown sugar and add seasonings . Came out like smoked brittle , because it would stick together . Really good , but that was a high temp smoke .
Ya, I saw several posts about things like that. For now I wanna try it plain, might have to go through some cheese posts to see if I can find it.
Do you have a link for what you did? Sounds really good! And saw disco disco post on smoked party mix, looked really good... like my to do list really needs any additional items!

Ryan

And for your additional viewing pleasure, these are some pics of today. Tuesday and Wednesday it was mid 40s and beautiful, no snow left on the grass (not much anyway) and fields were mostly black. Guess it is Iowa in January! Maybe I should send more to Robert, tx smoker tx smoker it seems he liked his last little bit! :emoji_laughing:

20210115_113951.jpg

Not gonna smoke today

20210115_113449.jpg

Ryan

I went and looked , couldn't find either way . I just used it for the idea , then applied what I know . Seasoned up the brown sugar with some red pepper and whatever you like . I melted some butter on the nuts , then mixed in the brown sugar . Smoked around 200 to melt the sugar . I spread them on a cookie sheet to cool . Break up and bag . They don't last long .
I remember guys just going for smoked nuts were using raw nuts .

Here's something to look at .

I didn't look thru this one , but it might help . Good luck . Let me know .

Here's something to look at .

I didn't look thru this one , but it might help . Good luck . Let me know .
Thanks for those! I read through the second one and it makes sense...we do love almonds.
In a totally unrelated matter... your tortilla presses you have been building look really nice! Looks like you changed the handle angle from the first one you built, have you tried using them, did it make a difference?

Look at that, just hijacked my own thread! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
Lol. Yeah I made some adjustments . The longer handle wants to tip forward . The shorter one doesn't. Both work pretty good . I did a mass production .

Lol. Yeah I made some adjustments . The longer handle wants to tip forward . The shorter one doesn't. Both work pretty good . I did a mass production .
What do you seal them with?

Ryan

Ryan I did about 10 pounds before Christmas, jarred them up, and gave them away as Christmas presents this past year. Found a few pics.
nuts1.jpg

nuts2.jpg

nuts3.jpg

nuts4.jpg

Coated them in EVOO and then did some with brown sugar and assorted spices and some others in Cajun seasoning. Used hickory 225 for 2 hours with a nice stir at the 1 hour mark. Nice subtle smoke flavor IMO. Sent some to tx smoker tx smoker and he said they were decent. Family and friends seem to like them. Need to get another batch done so I have some to snack on!

Ryan I did about 10 pounds before Christmas, jarred them up, and gave them away as Christmas presents this past year. Found a few pics.
View attachment 480298
View attachment 480299
View attachment 480300
View attachment 480301

Coated them in EVOO and then did some with brown sugar and assorted spices and some others in Cajun seasoning. Used hickory 225 for 2 hours with a nice stir at the 1 hour mark. Nice subtle smoke flavor IMO. Sent some to tx smoker tx smoker and he said they were decent. Family and friends seem to like them. Need to get another batch done so I have some to snack on!
Looks good! Might have to show this to my wife and see she thinks... I'm thinking I could make them disappear in a heart beat! I didn't know if cold smoking them just as they are would do anything, might try it anyways.
I did find the smoked nuts post I was thinking of, it was in OldSmoke OldSmoke thread of "just a sirloin", but no response from him yet, I believe they were smoked at a higher temp also.

Ryan

Will be watching as I have been wanting to try smoked nuts. Do a lot of smoked Almonds but ready to switch gears.

Copy /paste function did not work properly again, sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brokenhandle
So cold smoked some cheese yesterday so decided to throw some nuts in as well. Didn't do alot in case we didn't care for them, probably about 1/2 of a 1lb container. Smoked with apple pellets for 4 hours, smoker temp was 41 degrees.

20210117_161843.jpg

They turned out really well, took on a nice smoke flavor. Was taste testing every hour as well as having my wife taste them also... was afraid of my taste being off from being around the smoke.

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
They look great .
Thank you! Will still try some adding brown sugar and what not to some eventually and hot smoking it... looks and sounds way too good! I'm sure it will do wonders for my perfectly round shape!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky