Smoking meatloaf on WSM?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jesse624

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
Looking for some advice.  Those that use the Weber Smokey Mtn vertical water smoker; when smoking a meatloaf in the WSM, do you prefer the use of water in the bottom pan, or look for a dryer smoke with no water in the pan?  Thanks

I never use water in the pan of my WSM. I always use play sand covered in foil. Works just as good & is much easier to clean up.

LOL.... ask two chefs get two differant answers....

I use water in my pan unless I am doing chicken and want a hot fast smoke. But unlike Al I live in a very moist climate so sand would absorb a ton of water from the air when the smoker wasn't running, that would suck up all the heat from my fire, with water I add HOT tap water so my WSM gets up to temp fairly quickly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky