Smoking Meat Several Days Before Serving

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NVBoatman

Original poster
Sep 6, 2021
I’m having friends over for dinner and want to have all the meat smoked before the day of the event. I’m doing pork butt, chuck roasts and chicken. Any ideas/tips/concerns about that proces? Thanking you in advance.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
Salt lick in Driftwood Texas pretty much rests all their BBQ in the refer several days before serving. They claim it enhances the flavor.
They shrink wrap but we use the big 1 gallon zip locks.

Reactions: NVBoatman
I’m doing the same thing. I just vac’d up shredded pork and shredded beef for use next weekend.

I agree with Dive Bar Casanova Dive Bar Casanova , it tastes better the next day. I always make up sauces, chilI, and baked beans at least a day ahead to give the flavors time to meld. Even jerky tastes much better the next day.

I’m doing the same thing. I just vac’d up shredded pork and shredded beef for use next weekend.

I agree with Dive Bar Casanova Dive Bar Casanova , it tastes better the next day. I always make up sauces, chilI, and baked beans at least a day ahead to give the flavors time to meld. Even jerky tastes much better the next day.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
BBQ is a culture of patience, perseverance and time. Oh,, and experience.

I used to work the Santa Maria Tri Tip BBQ crew. I was 7th knife on the salad team. No braggin' rites that's about as low a rank as one could get but I learned a lot more than salad prep for 200 people. All volunteer - all for charity.
Their beans soak then cook for several days in a 33 gallon steam pot.

For the small events I smoke for, I smoke one or two days earlier and fill zip lock bags or go ahead and load up crock pots or the big white electric roster to refrigerate overnight. You could pack in an ice chest also overnight if you are short of frig space. Get them heating early enough at the event that everything is steaming hot with a little chicken broth added for pork or beef broth for beef. I think it is as good or better than fresh.

Another tip for burgers and hot dogs that may have to sit a while to get ahead of the crowd or as people drift in after grilling. I use a big electric roaster with one two liter bottle of coke and one refill with water. It will keep them as fresh as they came off the grill for several hours. Hope our suggestions help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky