Smoking Meat for Jerky!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

perseycat

Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
Portland, OR
So I wanted to attempt to make jerky for the first time. I was going to make it for my dad who lives in Hawaii and I wanted to do a flavor profile that isn't typical of Hawaii (you know like teriyaki jerky.) So I have decided to do some sort of smoked jerky without using liquid smoke. I really dislike the use of it! I was gifted a NESCO dehydrator for Christmas and wanted to try it out with the jerky.

Wondering if I could slice, then marinate the meat, smoke it on our webber kettle and then finish it off in the dehydrator? In my head the optimal way to do this would be to cold smoke it but I don't have access to a cold smoker. So I am looking for other alternatives. Thank you guys for any assistance you might have!

So I wanted to attempt to make jerky for the first time. I was going to make it for my dad who lives in Hawaii and I wanted to do a flavor profile that isn't typical of Hawaii (you know like teriyaki jerky.) So I have decided to do some sort of smoked jerky without using liquid smoke. I really dislike the use of it! I was gifted a NESCO dehydrator for Christmas and wanted to try it out with the jerky.

Wondering if I could slice, then marinate the meat, smoke it on our webber kettle and then finish it off in the dehydrator? In my head the optimal way to do this would be to cold smoke it but I don't have access to a cold smoker. So I am looking for other alternatives. Thank you guys for any assistance you might have!
you could use an amns sawdust smoker or an amps pellet smoker, you wouldn't be getting much heat with amns a little more with the amps but would be getting a smokier flavor you probobally need 180* to properly dry the jerky. you could also put 8 or ten briquettes in weber grill and a tin foil pack of wood chips on top of lit coals and add a few more lit coals each 1/2 hr. This should work for you.

Last edited:
I have made jerky in my stick burner using hickory. Some I marinaded and some just salt and pepper. Smoked them for prob 1 hour or so. Then into the dehydrator until finished. With hickory I found you don't need to be in the smoker long. Very strong smoke flavor...almost to much 90 minutes.
Your kettle should be fine. Just keep your temp down around 200 - 225.
Cherry or Apple would probably be pretty good.
Let us know how you make out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky