Smoking knowledge coming in handy - had to share

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
The company I work for is a small group - we do some specialized stuff for theme parks. A project we're on now requires some powder coating, and we haven't been happy with any of the quality from the powder coating shops we have tried, so we are doing it ourselves. We bought a small oven and set up a PID controller. The temps have been all over the places and the engineers are having some trouble getting it under control, the test batches have been baked too hot.

Enter me with the BBQ hobby...

Brought in my TP-20 and probes, got them set on the shelf. Discovered that the temps on the shelf are way off from the set temp. Green number below = set temp, red number below =actual temp the PID is measuring at the top of the oven, and the TP20 are the actual readings on the shelf where our material will be.

A bit hard to see in this photo, but:
SET TEMP (Green) = 370
MEASURED TEMP (Red) = 367
ACTUAL SHELF TEMPS (TP20) = 436 at the front of the oven, 491 at the back.

IMG_0807.jpeg

So we lower the PID probe closer to the shelf, and that brings us closer. But still a ~40-50 degree difference from the back of the oven to the front.

So I suggest we try indirect heat. Put an aluminum pan in (well, shoved is more accurate!) above the heating element to act as a deflector, and there is the magic ticket. We now have only a 4 degree difference between the front and back of the oven. We'll lower the PID probe closer to the shelf when we put parts in, and of course remove my temp probes! Pulled Pork wouldn't taste as good with powder coat chemicals mixed in.

We may also throw some sand into the pan to try and stabilize the oven a bit more.

IMG_0810.jpeg
IMG_0808.jpeg

Hope you enjoyed the read.

Attachments

• IMG_0809.jpeg
    IMG_0809.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0806.jpeg
    IMG_0806.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: kilo charlie
The company I work for is a small group - we do some specialized stuff for theme parks. A project we're on now requires some powder coating, and we haven't been happy with any of the quality from the powder coating shops we have tried, so we are doing it ourselves. We bought a small oven and set up a PID controller. The temps have been all over the places and the engineers are having some trouble getting it under control, the test batches have been baked too hot.

Enter me with the BBQ hobby...

Brought in my TP-20 and probes, got them set on the shelf. Discovered that the temps on the shelf are way off from the set temp. Green number below = set temp, red number below =actual temp the PID is measuring at the top of the oven, and the TP20 are the actual readings on the shelf where our material will be.

A bit hard to see in this photo, but:
SET TEMP (Green) = 370
MEASURED TEMP (Red) = 367
ACTUAL SHELF TEMPS (TP20) = 436 at the front of the oven, 491 at the back.

View attachment 500241

So we lower the PID probe closer to the shelf, and that brings us closer. But still a ~40-50 degree difference from the back of the oven to the front.

So I suggest we try indirect heat. Put an aluminum pan in (well, shoved is more accurate!) above the heating element to act as a deflector, and there is the magic ticket. We now have only a 4 degree difference between the front and back of the oven. We'll lower the PID probe closer to the shelf when we put parts in, and of course remove my temp probes! Pulled Pork wouldn't taste as good with powder coat chemicals mixed in.

We may also throw some sand into the pan to try and stabilize the oven a bit more.

View attachment 500239View attachment 500237

Hope you enjoyed the read.
Way to MacGyver. I Just retired from PPG Industries...worlds largest manufacture of coatings and resins. I retired as a Technical Rep. dealing alot with Powder Coatings. If this is an ongoing project for you and you have additional questions or issues I can put you in touch with the right person in your area. PM me if you like

Reactions: DanMcG and mcokevin
Way to MacGyver. I Just retired from PPG Industries...worlds largest manufacture of coatings and resins. I retired as a Technical Rep. dealing alot with Powder Coatings. If this is an ongoing project for you and you have additional questions or issues I can put you in touch with the right person in your area. PM me if you like
I just might take you up on that if we need it. Though we are doing extraordinarily small batch, so I do not think it would be worth anyone's time!

BTW, I know PPG well - I am from Pittsburgh and have a few family members and friends that worked at the HQ there at one point or another.

Reactions: PPG1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky