Smoking in the valley of the sun

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

plimtuna

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 26, 2015
New to this forum.  Somewhat new to real smoking.  

I have smoked for years on my propane grill using smoke chip boxes and proping the grill open to maintain low temps.  Had some results, but way too much work and cook times were always way to fast.

For Christmas 2014 I bought myself a MES 40".  The first weekend I ran out to Cabella's and picked up the cold smoke side car.

Since 18 December i have done beef jerky twice, two Briskets, ribs, pork butt, salmon, olives, cheese (mozz and colby jack) and olives.  

Intimidated by my personal challenge of cold smoked salmon.  But I better move fast, because soon our ambient temperatures will not allow it until next November.

I love the ease of the electric smoker.  But just last night finally came to the conclusion that both built in probes (box and meat) are off by as much as 25F HIGH.  Which is not so bad, but it has meant that everything has taken much longer than it should.

Will most likely order the Maverick 773 any day now.

I look forward to being a part of this community.

Thanks,

Tim in Phoenix.

Last edited:
Tim welcome to SMF the search bar is a very good tool, lots of friendly people all willing to help. Post questions someone will be able to help. Check the MES Group section lots of good info and definitely get a good probe or 2

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from a nice sunny and cool day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
Happy smoken.
David

Yeah, Tim that happens, looks like all the makers would put better temp gauges in their units

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky