Smoking in the rain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I live in Seattle area and it rains too much for me. It used to just drizzle and I could grill year rouund, that was before I decided to start smoking. Now it rains hard, the last 4 or 5 years it has gotten way worse.

And, I don't have a covered grill area. Everything is just out in the open. So, to be able to smoke or grill it seems like I need a canopy of sorts to cover the area at least while I'm cooking.

Any thoughts on what works without starting a fire or holding all the smoke in, I assume a vented top would be needed. I'm just starting to look so the sky is the limit.

I'm also jealous of all the southerners who can grill all hear round in the sun, but not enough to decide to move.

A portable car port works great.
I'm in marysville up north of you

Attachments

• 20160905_113356.jpg
    20160905_113356.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 67
I don't have anywhere I can put a permanent structure and I don't get near the rain you do but I use a 10 x 10 canopy and leave the stack outside the canopy, I have an offset stick burner. I can pull it out when I smoke and put it up when I'm done. I've used it in the rain several times. I mostly use it to keep the sun off me in the summer.

Do you have a cement patio? Adding a Gazebo on top of it might be an option. All depends on space and $.

Reactions: phathead69
Do you have a cement patio? Adding a Gazebo on top of it might be an option. All depends on space and $.
We have a concrete block patio and at this point no cover. Next.summer we plan to cover a part of it and will cover the outdoor kitchen, also part of that project. For now I just need something portable.

I don't have anywhere I can put a permanent structure and I don't get near the rain you do but I use a 10 x 10 canopy and leave the stack outside the canopy, I have an offset stick burner. I can pull it out when I smoke and put it up when I'm done. I've used it in the rain several times. I mostly use it to keep the sun off me in the summer.
Did you have to modify the stack for your smoker? Mine doesn't really have a stack, just a vent on top. I could put in a vent I guess, as long as.I could remove.it for.summer.

I bought a large square cantilever patio umbrella to block the flaming sun here. I wanted a pop up canopy but the wife shot that down. Both seemed pretty affordablebut it depends on your budget. the canopy's come in all sizes and prices.

• Sad
Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Then a 10x10 canopy will be perfect. They are about 7ft tall in the center. You won't need to worry about modifications or the smoke
How do you keep the smoke.from accumulating in the cover.section. They all seem to have a 2 to 3 inch lip plus the sloped cover.

I realize I would need to take it down after every time I use it.

I have a big pole barn. I run my Camp Chef pellet grill inside when it's cold or rainy, near one end with the doors on either end cracked to let the smoke out. I don't think I'd want to fire up a stick burner or charcoal smoker inside my barn, but I'm ok with a pellet grill/smoker or electric smoker running inside my barn. The Camp Chef is running right now with some buckboard bacon in it. If anything goes wrong, I'll jump on the tractor and shove the grill out the door, since the tractor is parked about 10 feet behind the grill lol

• Haha
Reactions: TNJAKE
How do you keep the smoke.from accumulating in the cover.section. They all seem to have a 2 to 3 inch lip plus the sloped cover.

I realize I would need to take it down after every time I use it.
I’ve used similar pop up (Coleman 10x10) with 2 traegers burning AMAZN trays and a 22inch Webber underneath and no problem at all with smoke in slight breeze. I agree with TNJAKE TNJAKE , may not be best for a stick burner, but no way I can see a smoke vault 18 causing problems and If your worried you can always use a fan.

I think jake has me pegged, don't tell the wife I said this but my tendency is to think about things all the way until I buy something. I'm a scientist by education and an engineer by trade. I'm just going to rearrange how the smoker and grill are.arranged and get a.10x10 canopy. I'll just take it down when the weather looks bad.

I think jake has me pegged, don't tell the wife I said this but my tendency is to think about things all the way until I buy something. I'm a scientist by education and an engineer by trade. I'm just going to rearrange how the smoker and grill are.arranged and get a.10x10 canopy. I'll just take it down when the weather looks bad.
My brother will think something to death. I promise a canopy is gonna be your best option for a portable structure that won't cost you an arm and a leg

I am limited to a couple smokers ... a pellet and a WSM. I use 1 or 2 patio umbrellas for coverage and a GFI receptacle for the pellet smoker power.

Yea, if it's gonna get windy, take that sucker down. I've seen some trampolines blown into hollers around here that you couldn't even get to on a 4x4 tractor to recover.
When the kids were younger we had a trampoline. Tornado blew it straight over my house into the front yard. Hated the trampoline anyways lol

Reactions: 912smoker and DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky