Smoking in the Garage During Rain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimbo66

Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
Western Mass
I am smoking a pork butt this weekend and it is supposed to rain. I had an idea top put the smoker in the garage, and use some 4" stove pipe to run through a Window and outside. placing it over the vent hole on top of the smoker :grilling_smilie:

I thought to seal the window opening with plywood, and cut a 6"hole for the pipe, 1 inch all around for clearance?

Has anyone ever tried this, have any ideas, or is this a big mistake waiting to happen?

Dint see why it wouldn't work.

Do a search on here, I think some already did it

Ive seen several posts about this. Try searching "range hood" or "man cave". People did similar things and seems to have worked out fine. Im thinking about trying to swing a permanent setup like that in the garage once our house is finished. Would be nice to be out of the elements! The one I like best was the range hood some people had done. I think I would still run a pipe out, but a vented range hood would also save the garage from every time you open the door/ light an AMNPS (if you use one).

If I cant convince the wife on the garage idea, ill probably thrown it in the shed, there are LOTS of posts about that too.

I have a masterbuilt electric smoker 30". I have only had it for a week, still learning about it.
How hot does the back get? The sides are pretty cool to the touch.

Heat won't be a problem with an electric smoker.
An amnps is a tray that holds wood pellets to create smoke. It will burn for up to 12 hours on a single load. A lot easier than dealing with chips every 30 minutes. Amaznproducts.com

Smoke it up
William

If it's either a detached garage or the door to the house seals pretty well I'd just open the overhead door and let 'er run.

Lance

Considered doing this myself, the man I purchased my traulsen refrigerator from had done it for his business with a different smoker. He had a pellet smoker vented out his garage.

That being said, I passed on the idea because at some point you open the doors, and I don't want the smoke in my garage.

Best wishes

Reactions: jimbo66
All great ideas guys, The garage is attached to the house, so I want to keep the smoke inside to a minimum.

I'll post some pics when I figure out what I'm going to do...

Can you open your garage door and smoke under it?  It works, but you do get a ton of smoke inside the garage depending on how the wind is blowing. 

I would build a chiney if possible. 

Here you go... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/79697/a-mes-cave  I would like to have one when I grow up, but I will need to get the Wife's ok on the Kegerator...
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
...JJ

Just be careful of carbon monoxide it's orderless and colorless. So you might consider putting a CO detector out there while your cooking just to be safe.

Reactions: jimbo66
Living in the wet PNW, I smoke in the garage most of the time. I just wheel the smoker until the stack is under the eaves, and let it go. Never had a problem with smoke getting into the garage or house.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky