Smoking in Montana.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grizsmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
Missoula, MT
Hello all.

I am a newby to this site and to smoking in general. My very cool wife just got me a new 30" Masterbuilt smoker. I have never done any smoking but I am very excited to learn all about it.
I received my smoker yesterday, Friday the 15th, I performed the pre season break in last night and while it was burning off all the new car smell I checked out this site and a few more.
One of the first things I saw was this most amazing sounding recipe for a thing call a Fatty. It looked so good I have two of them smoking as we speak.

I find it exciting that the first thing that I smoke in my life is a thing called a Fatty!!

I'll let you know how they turn out.

I live in Missoula Montana and my beloved Griz won today, my high school team won today and are heading to the state championship game, and I am smoking a Fatty. (I haven't said that since college).

Thanks for all the help I am sure to get from all of you in the future.

GrizSmoker

Last edited:
Hello GrizSmoker and welcome to the fun.  Many good folk here with a load of experience that they are more than willing to share.  If you have specific questions just start a thread and someone with experience will be along soon to offer advice.  All info you can provide us with will help us answer any questions you may have.  Spend some time doing some research on the forums, tons of advice and recipes already available there.  We look forward to your contributions.  Have fun.  Good luck with the fatties.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

Happy smoken.

David

Welcome aboard Griz!  Congrats on the new smoker!  How did those fatties turn out?  Remember that we all love to see pics of your cooks...we call it qview.  Just ask whenever you need anything...someone here will likely have the answer.

Red

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I must apologize for not getting any photos. I was so excited to be smoking I totally forgot.

The Fatties themselfs turned out OK. I used a thick Hickory smoked bacon and apple wood chips for the smoke. I wasn't sure how long to use the smoke in the 3 hour cook time so I used smoke for about 2 1/2 hours. I had read on here that Apple wood was a lighter smoke so I thought 2 1/2 hours was going to do the trick.

With the combo of the thick smoked bacon and 2 1/2 hours of smoke the bacon came out VERY smokey. I really like smoked flavors but this was even too much for me. I believe next time I will use a not smoked flavored bacon and back off on the smoke at 2 hours.

Any thoughts or tips you can share would be great.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Russ

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I must apologize for not getting any photos. I was so excited to be smoking I totally forgot.

The Fatties themselfs turned out OK. I used a thick Hickory smoked bacon and apple wood chips for the smoke. I wasn't sure how long to use the smoke in the 3 hour cook time so I used smoke for about 2 1/2 hours. I had read on here that Apple wood was a lighter smoke so I thought 2 1/2 hours was going to do the trick.

With the combo of the thick smoked bacon and 2 1/2 hours of smoke the bacon came out VERY smokey. I really like smoked flavors but this was even too much for me. I believe next time I will use a not smoked flavored bacon and back off on the smoke at 2 hours.

Any thoughts or tips you can share would be great.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Russ

Welcome to the group russ , and there's your first lesson and a good one to remember. Sometimes less is more when it comes to BBQ. Look forward to seeing some of your future cooks,.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   ........
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky