• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoking Gator-Can it be done?

billbo

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 19, 2007
A friend of mine has a bunch of gator and was asking about smoking it. I did some searching and found no real answer. Any thoughts? PS I miss you all! Been away too long and I apologize!

caveman

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 5, 2010
I would think that with enough brining, marinating, rub & proper wood for taste, hell, you could smoke just about anything.  I am not an experienced gator smoker but I am sure someone will pipe up with a method.  Keep your smoker ready!!

eman

Rest in peace. Lost but not forgotten!!
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Gator does not lend itself to low and slow very well. It gets tough.

better to fry or cook in a gravy. you can grill it but i didn't care for it grilled.

tony111

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 7, 2007
A friend gave me some gator a few years back. I deep fried it with a bater the wife makes for fish, I loved it. We don't get a chance for much gator meat in Ohio but I would try and pressure cook it for 30 min.then put in the smoker to brown and induce some smoke flavor. For an hour or 2 at around 160. This is how I do heart and tongue.  Good luck

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.