Smoking for 175 for my parents 50th anniversary

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

minisoda

Original poster
Aug 30, 2022
I've been smoking for smaller groups for many years, but this is the first one with over 50 people (planning 175). Currently planning 10 pork butts and ~16 boneless skinless turkey breasts as a second meat option. I was originally going to smoke early AM on the day of the event and hold in a cooler, but that may not be possible. 5pm dinner and my wonderful mother wants to do family pictures at 2:30 (right about the time I'll be wrapping up the cook).

So.... I'm thinking about pre-smoking everything and then re-heating in table top roaster (like a Nesco) at the event. Unfortunately, we don't have commercial ovens for reheating.

I would appreciate any feedback... if this doesn't go well, might be a last minute run to McDonald's for 400 cheeseburgers!

• Wow
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Start a little earlier to get it wrapped up by noon. Hold in coolers until 445 when you start to plate and all.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I did a bunch of butts this summer for about 100 people. I smoked them all ahead of time, then vac sealed and froze them. The day of the party I thawed the bags in a water bath in a big roaster, and then put the meat into pans over sterno cans. Never dried out, and the flavor was excellent.

You should have no problem reheating either of those two meats just keep some moisture in the roasting pan and the temp as low as reasonable.

Bought a case of turkey breasts one time thinking I was getting fresh raw turkey. Turned out I got a case of turkey breasts that the deli uses to slice thin and sell by the pound. Jenny-O's going about 7lbs ea. I was stuck I had to use them for a wedding the next day for about 150 people.

Turns out they smoked up great and they were a huge hit. I ordered them several more times after that. Worked great for me as I didn't have to worry about temps with raw poultry all I had to do was heat them through they took the smoke great and most importantly there was zero waste.

Reactions: TH-n-PA
10 Butts and 16 turkey breasts . Wow that is a big cook.

The folks above have you covered on the plan for doing ahead.
day of the event and hold in a cooler

I just think you will need a few coolers, lol

Good luck and if time works out drop us a few pictures of how it went. when you are relaxed with a cold one

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky