Smoking Fish Without Using Any Type Of Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fsa46

Original poster
Mar 13, 2020
What kind of results do you get when smoking fish without using any type of brine or rub ?

A week for a cooked fish, smoked or not, is an eternity if not frozen and packaged right away. If smoked and dried to a stiff jerky-like texture, it can be done, but I have no input at this time for safety reasons.

The temperature range in which most bacteria grow is between 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) and 140 degrees F (60 degrees C).
No salt at all? Salt is a basic cure.... Unless you smoke your fish below 40F (I mean below)... Otherwise it won't be safe for consumption...

I would NEVER smoke or cook any fish without using cure#1... Recently, botulism has become somewhat more prevalent... Smoking and/or cooking will not reach a temperature that will kill the bacteria and still render the meat delicious.. Salt and cure#1 will allow you to have delicious meat...
All that being said, I'm just an old fart that is still enjoying life...
Even this corona virus has an up side.... I have NOT received one ROBO call in a long time.... The local "door knocking" church group hasn't been around.... Taxes have been put off until June or July... I got my new mail box installed.... Someone drove over it and didn't leave a note...

I would NEVER smoke or cook any fish without using cure#1... Recently, botulism has become somewhat more prevalent... Smoking and/or cooking will not reach a temperature that will kill the bacteria and still render the meat delicious.. Salt and cure#1 will allow you to have delicious meat...
All that being said, I'm just an old fart that is still enjoying life...
Even this corona virus has an up side.... I have NOT received one ROBO call in a long time.... The local "door knocking" church group hasn't been around.... Taxes have been put off until June or July... I got my new mail box installed.... Someone drove over it and didn't leave a note...

Are you referring to the Prague Powder #1 ?

Yes... FDA allows for "up to" 200 Ppm in dry rubbed treatment or 1.4 grams per pound per treatment...
Any sodium nitrite cure with 6.25% nitrite in salt... It has many names...
I mix ~14 grams of cure#1 into ~80 grams of kosher salt.... Homogenize the mix well... Than add 9 grams of the mix per pound of fish and refer for a couple days..

Reactions: fsa46
I stopped brining my salmon years ago. Just season it right before it goes on the smoker uncovered. I keep my seasoning simple cuase salmon doesn't need much.

Last edited:
I stopped bringing my salmon years ago. Just season it right before it goes on the smoker uncovered. I keep my seasoning simple cuase salmon doesn't need much.

How long do you keep it after smoking ?

Anytime meat goes in the smoker, and smoked below ~225F, It should have nitrite on/in it.... The threat of botulism is too high to not heed that advice....

Reactions: Lonzinomaker
Till its eaten. I get the full size fillets. But we eat 75% of it that night. Then I finish it off a few days later. We do 3 a month.

If I understand, you want to smoke salmon without cure or preservative, immediately eat majority of it and finish the rest within the next 3 days. I'm assuming you will still season with salt and pepper (maybe a little lemon juice, onion and dill).
I think as long as you cook to 140 deg and hold it there for a few min, the salmon would be safe 3 days later IF you immediately chill to 34 deg and keep it at 34 deg until consumed within that time frame.

If I understand, you want to smoke salmon without cure or preservative, immediately eat majority of it and finish the rest within the next 3 days. I'm assuming you will still season with salt and pepper (maybe a little lemon juice, onion and dill).
I think as long as you cook to 140 deg and hold it there for a few min, the salmon would be safe 3 days later IF you immediately chill to 34 deg and keep it at 34 deg until consumed within that time frame.

Yes, that is exactly what I am referring to. Thank You

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky