Smoking Drums & Thighs Need some tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ryanrheil

Original poster
Dec 12, 2022
Hi everyone.

I have an electric smoker, char broil stand up cabinet style. I’m having a little Christmas party this weekend. I am smoking abunch of wings and drums. Why I have had some success in the pass doing it I’m just looking to step it up a notch. Anybody have any tips or pointers.

I usually just rub my chicken with paprika, salt, pepper, onion & garlic powder, & and a dash of Dan Os or Kicken Chicken or whatever.

Then I just use hickory chips and smoke for 2-3 hours on 275. Looking to get a bit of a better crust then usually. I know you can throw in oven after..should I fill water pan up inside smoker? Any other flavor chip better? Should I brine? I’m all ears!!!

I attached my last smoke in the first picture where I think I rushed the end of it and my first smoke in second pic with my new smoker which turned out pretty decent.

Attachments

• 86BC558D-6E8A-408C-A935-60C7988A26CA.jpeg
    86BC558D-6E8A-408C-A935-60C7988A26CA.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 581C0517-B087-434C-A536-4D18F8259C7D.jpeg
    581C0517-B087-434C-A536-4D18F8259C7D.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 7
I don't think you will get a better crust at 275, but I do like smoked wings for the tenderness. Maybe give them a quick fry when they come of the smoker?

Reactions: bauchjw
Greetings! I wouldn’t put anything but foil in your water pan to make it easier to clean. Cabinet smokers are humid enough without adding more water/fluid and you need that skin dry to get crispy. Lots of different views, but my opinion is if you want to smoke them, finish off with a char on a grill. I prefer wings on a kettle with a vortex, but if you want more smoke that could be the way to finish. If you don’t have a grill then quick fry to finish or oven/broiler at high heat should crisp it. Just make sure skin is dry!

Hi everyone.

I have an electric smoker, char broil stand up cabinet style. I’m having a little Christmas party this weekend. I am smoking abunch of wings and drums. Why I have had some success in the pass doing it I’m just looking to step it up a notch. Anybody have any tips or pointers.

I usually just rub my chicken with paprika, salt, pepper, onion & garlic powder, & and a dash of Dan Os or Kicken Chicken or whatever.

Then I just use hickory chips and smoke for 2-3 hours on 275. Looking to get a bit of a better crust then usually. I know you can throw in oven after..should I fill water pan up inside smoker? Any other flavor chip better? Should I brine? I’m all ears!!!

I attached my last smoke in the first picture where I think I rushed the end of it and my first smoke in second pic with my new smoker which turned out pretty decent.
So here is what I do and it works for me. Legs and thighs need low heat for a long time to break down all the goodies that flavor the meat. I smoke my legs at 225 /250f for usually 3 hours. and then crank up the heat to 400f to crisp the skin or caramelize the sauce. Now I always use seasoned salt on my legs and thighs but I dont put it on until i cook the chicken. It will penetrate into the meat when cooking this way. Thighs you will need to adjust the cooking time for bone in or boneless. Smoked wings well that is a whole different category.

Let the chicken sit in the fridge uncovered for a few hours before the smoke. It will help get that skin a little crispy. You can always brine it for more flavor or inject the wings with franks. Search scarbelly wings. There good

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky