Smoking Cheese in a Cardboard Box (Ch-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alelover

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Needed a little cheese for a party we're going too. Maybe. Had some smoked Moz, cheddar and Colby Jack from the last smoke but I wanted some Havarti and Gouda too. It was 95 out that day and at least 90 under my shaded porch. But I've never smoked cheese this warm so I thought I'd try it. Unless you were all lying to me and the cheese actually sucks when you smoke it that hot. 
icon_eek.gif
Just kidding.

0fccfc21_IMG_1381.jpg

So I got some. Top row is Havarti. The yellowish on the right is Gouda and the 2 in the lower left are Cabot's Seriously Sharp Cheddar. It was in there so why not. It's the best.

f6556af5_IMG_1383.jpg

Broke out the cardboard box smoker I built a while back. No I don't have too much time on my hands.
icon_smile.gif

a31b0b79_IMG_1384.jpg

I was feeling a little wild so I thought I would try a peach apple combo today.

c0b1b4b9_IMG_1385.jpg

Got it all fired up. There is blue smoke coming out. I guess the camera couldn't see it.

d94a23fb_IMG_1386.jpg

3.5 hours later we're done. Time to go to dinner for my Anniversary. I'm guessing it was a 100 in the box.

88691c62_IMG_1390.jpg

It got sweaty but I've seen worse. On here. Some of you know the pic I am referring to.

50666d3e_IMG_1388.jpg

Sealed her up after I fridged it to let it dry a little. I'll let you know how it is in a couple weeks.

bc537ab1_IMG_1403.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Looks good Scott.  I have had mine get sweaty at those temps too.  We have hot summers here, so I have to cold smoke at night.  Sometimes I have to use ice jugs, too.

I did like your "Alton Brown" Box!  I just use my Weber kettle, but that box looks like fun.

Good luck and good smoking.

Gosh that Gouda looks good!  I wish I would've thought to get some for my smoke today.  Oh well, now I have a reason to smoke again soon!  LoL!

I love that cardboard smoker!!!

Very cool smoke, despite the heat of the day!

That's the fanciest Cardboard box Smoker I've ever seen!

You're right, the cheese got a little sweaty, but I've found it takes smoke a little better

Great Color!

Todd

That looks awesome. If you have not tried the fresh mozzarella in water yet you are really missing out on some great cheese

Thanks guys. I've done cheese in the 40s, 50s and 70s but never the 90s. There's a database in my head holding all this info. Hope I can recall it someday.

I usually use Poli-O whole milk for my moz. Grew up on it. I think it has more flavor than the fresh stuff. To me anyway. Cold smoking cheese with your design Todd is definitely the deal. There really isn't anything better I can think of. I used to buy smoked cheese. As I look back .... well you know. The box was a revelation. I was at work and saw the box and then the tube and well. Box + Tube = Cold Smoker.

Scott---That cheese looks Perfect---Just right !!!!

I would have thought it was too hot to do cheese right now, without ice.

I love your nails that color too!  
biggrin.gif

Thanks Buddy!

Bear

I just put a carboard box with a few holes (one on bottom, and two on top) on top of my electric smoker.  The box just sits right on the smoke outlet for the smoker.  Works great. 

I will say that yours is a LOT more impressive than mine.

Smoke some shredded cheese for about fifteen minutes and mix a cup of cheese with a brick of cream cheese and then cover with pecans,  You will be a hero!

Ale Lover,

Awesome box! I love it. I did something very similar but not as nice. I will be posting on this site soon.

Great photos also to document the process. I am new to smoking cheese, but not new to smoking foods.

Looks great!

-BrentCzech

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky