Smoking butt and chuckie at the same time advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ncinflorida

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Florida
So rookie smoker here, trying my third smoke and you guys helped a TON last week. Attempting a 3 lb pork butt and a 3 lb beef chuck at the same time. Using masterbuilt at 225 and trying for 2 hours per pound target before wrapping .Any advice on time and temp? Will the beef stall around the same temp? Should I even be trying this?

Thanks guys I appreciate all the help in perfecting my smoking!

You can smoke different meats and veggies simultaneously. 2 hrs/lb is about right for 225* chamber temp...should be pushing around 165-175* by then, but that's @ my elevation of 5K above sea-level...you're probably just a few hundred ft above, so it may be closer to the 185-190* range. You may want to shoot for closer to 1.5hrs/lb for foiling, if you don't want as hard of a bark on the meat. Probe for internal temps if you can, of course, and probe for tenderness before resting.

EDIT: forgot to mention this, but if you're wrapping only to rest, and not foiling to reach finished temps, then 2-2.25hrs/lb will be close to your total cooking time if shooting for 200* I/T.

Eric

Last edited:
Thanks Eric, I'm at the 4 hour mark and the pork stalled at 160 while the beef is slowly rising but at 154, I plan to wait until the beef gets to 165 and then wrap and take both to 205 before wrapping again throwing the cooler for a few hours. Think makes sense?

You guys have thoughts on shutting down the heat at 205 but leaving in the smoker vs. Double wrapping and putting the cooler?

Uh, oh...guess I'm too late for the party...just got back from a BBQ birthday party after doing a couple butts, a picnic and 12lbs of wicked beans, or I'd have been around to answer earlier. I have held meats in the "O" or smoker with temps dialed back to around 170*. It does work better in the "O" than a propane smoker, as it cools down slower, while with the MES you can dial it down quite a bit more from there. If you opt not to insulate to rest (held in a cooker), then you need to cool them down slowly. In the "O" you can preheat to 170*, leave smaller cuts in for 15-20 minutes and turn off the heat...it will cool down more slowly from there...just not quite as slow as if towel-wrapped.

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky