Smoking bellies today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cooperman

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 3, 2016
Hey all,
I will be smoking two 5lb bellies that have been in Pop’s brine for 14 day, in the frig for 3 day. I I will be cold smoking. One belly will be cracked pepper. I need an idea for the second belly or I’ll just leave it plain. I thought I read somewhere that Montreal seasoning works good? Any other suggestions?
Thanks

I always use just pepper, or just leave them plain.
Some of the guys use maple syrup to sweeten them up.
Al

Thanks Al,
I did one with fresh cracked pepper and left the other plain. I smoked them for 8 hrs, there in the frig. right now. We’ll see.

I know this is an old post but had a question. I've got an 11 pound belly in cure now and would like to do pepper bacon. At what stage do you add the pepper? Do you do it while its drying in the fridge after the cure or wait until right before you smoke it?

I know this is an old post but had a question. I've got an 11 pound belly in cure now and would like to do pepper bacon. At what stage do you add the pepper? Do you do it while its drying in the fridge after the cure or wait until right before you smoke it?
Per what I have read from Disco, you do the rinse and soak, then pay dry, and apply black pepper before the cold smoke. I did this right before a hot smoke and the pepper still stuck. I am pretty sure you wait for it to dry and form the tacky surface first <or I did>. Keep in mind I haven't personally made belly bacon, but I imagine the methodology is the same across all three kinds.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky