Smoking and canning :-/

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

symansaysbbq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
CT
Has anyone tried it? I was thinking about smoking two pork buts and trying to jar up the 2nd. Do you think it will work? Will it stay tender, with the extended cooking processes with canning? If anyone has done this please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

New-be

~Aaron

Check with the USDA guidelines for canning beef.  They will suggest that you use a pressure canner and I wonder what the additional cook time would do to the texture of the meat.  You are also cooking at a very low temp  when you smoke, you are adding spices, mops etc that need to be accounted for when going to can the meat.

If is just my suggestion that you would be better served maybe vacuum packing the meat and freezing it.  I seldom have your problem, when I smoke a couple of buts they generally disapear before I have a chance to freeze them.  Wonder how that happens?

Thank you for your reply. I have looked into caning meat, could not find anything about smoked meat. I would need to use a pressure canner for about an hr or more, I can just imagine what that would do to the texture :-/ I will have to look into getting into vacuum packing...

Thanks again

that's very cool... I just got into caning this year and love it. I have been smoking for about a year and I was wondering how to combine the two. Thank you so much.

I've done alota pork butt, pressure can followin standard directions, but, when smokin, I pull the butt ta be canned at the 165° point an trim the fat an then cube it an can it.  This way yer not over cookin it an makin it mushy.  Makes some great stuff, never lasts long!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky