Smoking a whole brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Soxin NJ

Original poster
Jul 4, 2020
When smoking a whole brisket, how doI deal with the flat cooking faster than the point?

When smoking a whole brisket, how doI deal with the flat cooking faster than the point?
I didn't have any issues when I smoked mine. I cooked the flat to 203 degrees, and it came out perfect. I don't remember the temp on the point, but I was very happy with the brisket.

Welcome to SMF

I have never had a flat be done before the point. As far as I can recall, the point is always done first.

Did you have this happen (if so more details please) or was this a hypothetical?

Generally it’s the other way around. Is this an active cook? I would ignore the point and cook the flat to probe tender. Generally around 203F but use a wooden skewer to probe or a thermal probe to test. When the probe goes in and out, all over, with very little resistance, it’s done. Don’t worry a whole lot about temperature, only as a guide, probing tells the tale.

This post is 2yr old lol.
Yup, and the question was really never answered with 5k views. When people use the search for an issue like this they have to sift through all threads with no answer. This thread will soon drift off the end of the page, but for those searching for help I see no harm in leaving some good information for them.

Otherwise mods need to go through and delete old posts with no clear answer and clean up the books. Lol

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky