Smoking a turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Stemy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Ohio
So I want to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving this year, I have a 14lb one. What temp and how long am I looking at? Also what is best way to smoke one, dry rub, injection? Any advice and help for a first timer? Thanks in advance

The first one i did i brined, injected with butter i believe, rubbed skin with a bit of oil and some spices. Turned out decent. Was on a gmg Daniel boone, which went back to gmg for temp issues they couldn't solve.

There is no one (1) answer to your questions, the options are too numerous.
Whole or spatchcocked?
Brined or not?
Butter under the skin?
Baste?

Easiest, quickest and best results in my opinion.
Spatchcock
Inject with a tasty marinade and rub on the entire bird
Smoke over hickory at a minimum of 275°, preferably higher 350°-375°
It's done when you've safe IT.

There is no one (1) answer to your questions, the options are too numerous.
Whole or spatchcocked?
Brined or not?
Butter under the skin?
Baste?

Easiest, quickest and best results in my opinion.
Spatchcock
Inject with a tasty marinade and rub on the entire bird
Smoke over hickory at a minimum of 275°, preferably higher 350°-375°
It's done when you've safe IT.
Your favorite rub .....set temp at 300 bout 6 hours otta do it ..a wood burning pit is just a modified oven .....

Prepare as if going to roast,smoke for 2 hours then into a cooking bag and finish in oven is my method

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky