smoking a turkey for first time tomorrow!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokemom

Smoke Blower
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 2, 2006
california
hi,

I am smoking a turkey tomorrow.. it was a big one, in my mind! 15 lbs .so i cut it up and am brining it as i type! i assume it will cook faster cut up or am i wrong?

thanks,
kathy

It will cook a little faster parted out than whole. Best of all, you'll be able to remove the breast meat as it gets done and not have to leave the white meat to get over done waiting on the dark meat to get done.

I hate over cooking delicious white meat waiting for the gross dark meat to get done :x

Not a dark meat fan, I usually cook breast instead of whole birds. For Thanksgiving and Christmas when we have guests that enjoy the dark meat I cook a couple breasts along with 4 drumsticks and everyone is happy!!

Hi Smokemom,

I was beginning to think that big old Ham you did a couple of weeks ago scared you away. :D

I cook turkeys couple of times a year, but I don't cut them up. So I don't know how much help I can be. However, if you have any questions you think I could help with, feel free to shout at me.

Good luck on your bird. 8)

dont have the technology for a photo! but i will describe it the best I can!!!!

Cajun--

what's the rule of thumb for a turkey (hours per pound etc). I was thinking of doing one next weekend and wanted to have my research done so i would be ready for the bird to thaw.

Hey Woody,

It's about like any other large mass meat (butt, brisket, turkey) 1.5 hours per pound is a good time to allow for. I'm personally not a big fan of smoking by time. I do better with temp. Just follow the guidelines for poultry doneness (I think it's 180?) and keep your cookin temps around 225. Be sure you get your temp reading from between the thigh and breast. The breast will hit its temp faster than the thigh area will. I haven't had a problem with dry breast meat but I have seen a lot of others that did. They suggested foiling around the breast when it hit its temp to try and hold the moisture in. I would think you could inject some butter and seasonings to add more moisture and that might help.

Maybe I just like my white meat dry so I don't notice it. :D

Smokemom,
I'm sorry I have not been up to date on your posts, but smoked turkey is the best. Here are a couple of pics of our T-Day cook last year, and I hope Cajun has you straightened out with the pics.
ae77413d_vbattach10801.jpg

fda72301_vbattach10802.jpg

geat pictures! looks delicious!!!

i have tried several suggestions and still cant get pictures sent!

5 Turkeys, 6 racks of ribs, and 2 pork butts. The turkeys were so big that they would not fit under the top rack. My turkey was the one under the butts getting that nice basting action...;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky