Smoking 2 small chickens tomorrow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hinds90

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
This will be my 2nd(hopefully I can fit both) cook on my mini wsm. Just keeping the brine simple with salt and water.

Open to any advice for crispy skin. Was thinking starting it off at 250 then 300 350 to finish it off

Last edited:
Skin didn't crisp up like I wanted because I didnt get the temps high enough but the meat was very juicy (should have just brined 1 to compare the 2). Probably try lump next time to get the temps higher.

Last edited:
one way to hep to crisp up the skin is after you take them out of the brine  pat them dry and then let the skin  dry out a bit for a couple hours or even overnight  in the fridge  before you smoke them.

wet chicken skin  at a low  and slow temp is hard to evaporate all the water outta the skin and crisp it up, but if you let it dry out a  in the fridge you will make the job  much easier on yourself 

I did before I seasoned the birds. I'm probably making to much of a deal about the skin. As long as the meat is good eat up.

I do think my main problem was I didn't put enough lit coals in. I had the bottom grate all the way open and couldn't get above 295.

Thanks. It was good. Pulled it all and will be using through out the week.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky