SMOKING 1/2 BLOCK OF SHARP WHITE CHEDDAR (FINAL PIC)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We don't have Alder here in Southeast Mississippi or Mississippi for that matter. At least never heard of any. What's it like?

Alder is a milder wood with a subtle sweet flavor. Allot of folks use it for salmon. I've used it for smoking cured pork loin. And cheese. It can be purchased on-line through A-Maze-N and other places.

Good job. Corn cob, pitmasters choice from Todd Is good. How long you do. I like 6 hrs. on all cheese. Vacu seal. Month after taste fine. Got some xtra sharp chedder from 2015. Waiting for 2020 election. Morn or thumbs up

Please share the recipe ? How do you do that in a Weber kettle? I need to know
Very easy. I have an A-MAZ-N 12" pellet tube filled with hickory pellets that I place on bottom of the kettle, opposite from the cheese as shown in pics. Place the cheese on a mesh rack as shown in pics. I use the ChefAlarm to monitor the temp inside the kettle. My tube will burn for 4 hours. On this smoke, I pulled the cheese off in 3.25 hours. I try to keep the temp below 80 at all times. If temp gets close to 80, I take kettle lid off for a minute or so and let it cool back down to about 50. After pulling the cheese off, I place uncovered for a while then wipe off moisture on the cheese (if any) then wrap loosely in plastic wrap and place in fridge overnight. Next day I vacuum seal and place in my fridge in my garage and let it age. I will test in a month. It will last for years. The longer it ages, the better it is. I'll start giving some to family and friends after the cheese ages for 6 to 8 months. YouTube is helpful as well. Cheese smoking is more addictive than Heroin so be careful. HaHaHaHa!
2 U BOLTS.jpg

I added the U bolts to get plenty of air. Learned this trick from SMF.

It sits in refrigerator over night. I then vac pack and put the cheese in my other little fridge for a long rest. I will try some after about a month just to check out how it is coming along. It's usually minimum 6 months before I give some away to friends or partake myself. I have some from last January that is still in the fridge resting up.
Holy cow, I had no idea it would keep for that long.
I'm going to have to try it again and let it age longer, thank you.

Holy cow, I had no idea it would keep for that long.
I'm going to have to try it again and let it age longer, thank you.

I have cheese that is over a year old. It just gets better with time. You just need to make sure it is vacuum sealed good. I check my stock a couple times a month to make sure they are sealed. I had a chunk of 13 month smoked white cheddar the other day. It was awesome.

Nice color on that cheese.
33* YIKES thats way to cold for me these days.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky