Smokin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swalker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
NW Arkansas
Ya gotta love that Blue smoke... 6:30am... I fired it up and stuck a rubbed brisket in there...rubbed yesterday and kept in the fridge all night. I used a store bought rub, added a little ground cinnamon(a tip a friend told me about) then this morning I added 1 teaspoon of minced garlic to the top...
I placed chunks of Hickory in the bottom of the charcoal pan, then a layer of Lump charcoal...and mixed some briquettes and smaller hickory chips on top...Can't wait till this baby is done!!!

I have got to gear myself up and try some pulled pork... :lol:

Thanks again for all the advice everyone!!!!

Hey, swalker, don't leave us hanging!! How did it turn out and have ya got any pictures to show and tell?? :D

Hi Dutch,
Sorry I did not get any pictures...I made some of the Alabama White Sauce and after that the Brisket went quick...I got a couple of pieces of it and that was it....So I am saying it worked out great....I thought the brisket should of had a little better color to it. It looked to me like it was not done enough....more red than I cared for..but it turned out very tastey...a Good smoke flavor and very tender...So I did not complain. I dipped mine in the alabama white sauce and it was delicious........I am still learning........
Steve

Trust me buddy, being fairly new to smoking, learning is half the fun. Where's the thread for this alabama white sauce?

When you say there was more red than you'd liked, are you speaking of the smoke ring or just rare in the middle. I've done an eye roast once, I took it up to medium internal temp for beef, and it was to dry. I'd like to try again, but I like my beef on the rare side of medium rare so, whatever, it's all in personal taste.

swalker,
That Alabama white sauce is definitely good. I first ran across it up in northern Alabama. There was a small BBQ joint near Huntsville. By the way, I understand that the white sauce was invented by a pit master up there by the name of Big Bob Gibson..... at least that's what I've read. He uses it on chicken. So if you like it, don't hesitate to use it on chicken. It's a good combo.

I use to eat at Big Bob Gibson's all of the time until I moved away and I still use his white sauce. Sometimes I am able to find it at Wal-Mart here in Louisiana. Try soaking chicken in it for at least 24 hours and yum, yum! Big Bob's main joint is in downtown Decatur, Al. Try his brunswick stew and you will think you have died and gone to Heaven. :D

I have used the Alabama white sauce a couple of times on pork and think it is delicious...I made some and used it with the brisket and it was outstanding again...So I think this sauce works for all kinds of meat...Just my opinion though.......I like the flavor..........what can I say...It is great!!!

Steve

I thought with white sauce you use it as a dip (dunk the piece in it) prior to putting the piece of meat on the plate?

Confused,

Brian

Brian, there is no right or wrong way to eating...I myself like my BBQ with no sauce. The meat is the star of my plate, but my family loves sauce. Some have to have the emat taking a swim, others just need a light coating. If it is good to you, then you did it right.

Love the white sauce.

I read about it in a book I have. It suggested that it be used with chicken and I loved it just never thought about using this and anything else. I will have to give that a try

The first time I tried it was on Pork Chops.(after they were cooked). Man O Man O Man O Man..........was it good!!!!!

Hell I may have to try it on a salad!!!! :lol:
Gonna be gone for a week...will catch up on everything when I get back.
Enjoy!!!!

had to look to see if I could find a recipe as I've never heard of this...

Alabama White Sauce
Ingredients:
1 cup mayonaise
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for at least an hour. Stir again right before using.

Shellbellc if you have never tried this before you owe it to yourself to do so.

My first bite was a puzzled feeling as I did not know if I really liked it. That quickly passed and soon there was a party in my mouth

I just had lunch at Big Bob Gibson's BBQ. It was super good as usual. I had the brisket but left with a gallon of brunswick stew and a few bottles of their famous red BBQ sauce. I did not get the white sauce since I can get it sometimes at our local Wal-Mart. The lunch reminded me of all of those times I ate there in high school and junior college. At the front door they keep all of their 1st place World Championship BBQ trophies. All along the walls are all of the magazine and newspaper articles written about them.

If you haven't been then you gotta go!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky