Smokin' The Beef equivalent of Pork Shoulder Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

triple b

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2007
Woodstock,Ontario,Canada
They had Beef Blade[pot] roasts for $2/lb at Sobey's this week.
So I thouhgt I'd do a pulled pork,beef style or maybe a poor man's brisket.
I took one of roasts and rubbed it with Rib Rub.
The other 2 I did with a brisket rub with some extra garlic andcumin,and chipotle powder.[I like my meat spicy!!]
So I got them on at 10:40 a.m.
And here are the pics.
This is the one w/Rib Rub And the others with beef rub

Loading them in the ECB with some garlic bulbs in EVOO[had to try it]

And the Thin Blue Smoke! Plus a shot with the backyard [not bad for being in a city ,eh?]

Back soon with more pics.
Wrapped them in double foil at 3 p.m.[Added some Habenero BBQ sauce to keep them moist!] with an internal temp. of 170°
That cooled them off a bit. It's 3:30 and they're just coming back to 170°
Smoker holding steady at 254°F.
Back soon with updates and more pics,I hope!
Wish me LUCK!

<drool mode>ARRRGGGHHHH...EAT...MORE...YUMMM!!!</drool mode>
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Looking really good there Triple B. They had blade "steaks" here on sale last week for 3.99/lb I was wondering about them. I never heard of blade steaks. Seems they'd be tough as shoe leather.

Around 4:15 p.m. the internal temp. had gone up to 202°F
That's when I took them off and put them in my mini cooler to rest.
I took them out around 5:30 and sliced.
They still weren't done enough to pull.--I need to be more patient,but what can you do when you're hungry?
The one pic is a little blurry,but so was I! hehe
I should've took more,but no! Hunger over ruled!

When garlic came off Piece of beef with juices & BBQ sauce.Followed by the blurry cut up beef.

It was good and tender and TASTY!
But,no discernable smoke ring.
I'll keep trying!!
How about a pic of my backyard?

Take care y'all!!
p.s. Squeezy my brother you can come over anytime for samples!

Hi Debi,
Blade steaks are from the shoulder just like a pork shoulder butt.
Blade steaks can go either way,some tender[the higher the fat content(marbling) the more tender it seems to be] and some tough.
Another way I tested blade steaks was to press down on the meat with my finger.If it felt really soft,it would be more tender,if it seemed firm it would be tough as nails.
And I thought 3.69 and up was expensive here.

Hope this helps.
Brian

OK folks ... got my samples ... no complaints from me! (I think chefs are a little hard on themselves) and there was a small smoke ring. (bonus points) It was moist, tender, and most of all tasty! ... and now I know what I'm having for lunch at work tonight ... WoooHooo!!!!
icon_wink.gif

Thanks Brian - I don't know why but any beef except brisket (which is usually $2.99/lb) is almost untouchable here for the past year. Even hamburger has been averaging $3/lb.

Hi again Debi,
I just got a brisket this week on sale at Sobey's [Canadian Grocer]
it was only $2.99/lb.They also have lean ground beef at $1.79/lb this week.
So I'm doing the brisket today.
My first! Couldn't afford it before now.
It's a litle one ,just under 7 lb.
It's been on since 5:30 this morning.
My remote Maverick says internal temp is 153°F
and smoker temp. is 224°F and it's only 7:40 a.m.
Wish me luck.

Blame it on Ethanol production.

Same thing happened in Mexico with tortilla prices when farmers started sending more corn away to produce Ethanol....caused riots in some of the towns outside Mexico City.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky