Smokin-It to replace MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If I had deep pockets, a Smokin It would be nice. I like Industrial tough.

But I don't. And I can easily keep my little MES 30 running to serve my needs.

Sarge, I did email Steve. They usually hold the S&D for things like shows.
When they do sell them, it's by in person only so the reasons can be gone over.
Never shipped.
I'd imagine the first time they had an S&D bounce back they wised up.
But I do Thank You for the suggestion.
And Steve got back to me the same day, on a weekend no less.
That... speaks volumes for his attention to business. ;):)

Family owned and operated. Steve does his level best to answer emails and the phone himself. And as you discovered, even on a weekend!

I wasn't too sure about scratch and dent but it never hurts to ask. These are great smokers; a pretty good bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Family owned and operated. Steve does his level best to answer emails and the phone himself. And as you discovered, even on a weekend!

I wasn't too sure about scratch and dent but it never hurts to ask. These are great smokers; a pretty good bang for the buck.

Yep, To say the least, I was very Impressed!
In my opinion, I think the Smoken It is probably the best on the market for fellers like most of us. The quality stands out from every view. Hands down!

My cousin has a SI 3D. It is awesome. The quality of the build is far superior to my MES.

I could never get satisfactory baby back ribs from my MES 30.
Instead I can make ribs in my Smokin-It #3 (analog) that are the best I ever had. Put ribs in and 5 hours later check for doneness, no peek, no wrap required.
When I make pulled pork, everybody wants some to take home. I never get to eat left-overs.

I struggled with my ribs in my Masterbuilt too. They were always just "ok". I would always do a 3-2-1 or 2-2-1. I tried that in my Smokin-It #2 a couple of times then realized quickly that there is no need for that. St. Louis Style or Babybacks.... just throw 'em in and let the smoker do the job. 4.0 to 4.5 hours at 225 degrees F and they turn out great.

Last edited:
So, now I am just waiting for the newly released PID to ship on the 3D and I am pulling the trigger to order. I asked on their FB page but didn't get a response yet. Does anyone know if the new controller wifi will allow remote access of data? It would be great to be able to throw a smoke on and go fishing while monitoring it on my mobile app. If something goes wrong call the wife to walk her through addressing it or pack up and head home to save the smoke.

Waiting game till Steve puts out the full roll out. You might get some ideas from the auber site on the stand alone version which should be similar.

Last edited:
I've had a SI 2 for about 5 years (couldn't afford a Cookshack at the time) and it still works and looks great. Never had a problem with it, keeps temp well when cold out (and it does get cold out in northern IN). For the money, it is a very well-built unit. The insulation is great -- I don't worry about it when my grandson is playing on the deck along side the smoker going full steam ahead on some ribs. I also have the cold smoke plate which works great. You get what you pay for and I've always thought the MES were a little, er, inexpensively fabricated and assembled (just my opinion), but they do have their ardent supporters.

Bottom line there are tons of choices. Choose what you like and which will make barbecue fun and something to look forward to.

I got tired of fixing my MES and decided to spend the money to get a product that would last yet still have the convenience of use of the MES. I chose Smokin-It and have never looked back. That was 3 years ago and it has performed flawlessly without the need for repair. It is very solidly built and the racks are heavy duty like you find in a oven. If you can, make the jump and move on.

How did you decide between the 2 and the 2D?

I’ll be replacing my Bradley with the Smokin-it 3D this year. I want to upgrade and this just seemed to fit my needs perfectly.

Did you replace it and if so, which Smokin-It model and are you happy with your choice?

I could never get satisfactory baby back ribs from my MES 30.
Instead I can make ribs in my Smokin-It #3 (analog) that are the best I ever had. Put ribs in and 5 hours later check for doneness, no peek, no wrap required.
When I make pulled pork, everybody wants some to take home. I never get to eat left-overs.

How did you decide between the 3 and the 3D?

Money talks. It was telling me not to spend that much for a 3D. I am a homebrewer and made an electric system with 3 PIDs for brew controls so I figured I could easily add one to the 3 if I felt the need. So far i haven't felt the need.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky