Smokin-It to replace MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
SonnyE - You could email the owner, Steve and see if he has a 'scratch and dent' model 1 for sale. Never hurts to ask!

Thanks for all of the follow up. I am still on the fence because I am sold on the SI 3D, but that $! Anyway, I thought I would post a follow up of what I found when messing with the MES.
View media item 553572

Thanks for all of the follow up. I am still on the fence because I am sold on the SI 3D, but that $! Anyway, I thought I would post a follow up of what I found when messing with the MES.
View media item 553572

Yep that seems to be one of the most common failures for the MES.
If you decide you want to repair that busted connection (and may as well upgrade the other one) I would recommend you use the Supco t1111 or t1113 Hi Temp Stainless Steel connectors because they were designed for this kind of job where the connectors the MES uses are no real match for the job.

To crimp the flag version may take some vice grips or ingenuity :)

For less than $20 (if you buy connectors and crimping tool)

Yep that seems to be one of the most common failures for the MES.
If you decide you want to repair that busted connection (and may as well upgrade the other one) I would recommend you use the Supco t1111 or t1113 Hi Temp Stainless Steel connectors because they were designed for this kind of job where the connectors the MES uses are no real match for the job.

To crimp the flag version may take some vice grips or ingenuity :)

For less than $20 (if you buy connectors and crimping tool)

I remember when I had to fix one of mine like that.
I replaced the connector with the same one they had from the factory, but it was kinda sideways---Shaped like a Flag.
One like that fit in the tight spot better.
Just thought I'd mention it.

Bear

If I had deep pockets, a Smokin It would be nice. I like Industrial tough.

But I don't. And I can easily keep my little MES 30 running to serve my needs.

Sarge, I did email Steve. They usually hold the S&D for things like shows.
When they do sell them, it's by in person only so the reasons can be gone over.
Never shipped.
I'd imagine the first time they had an S&D bounce back they wised up.
But I do Thank You for the suggestion.
And Steve got back to me the same day, on a weekend no less.
That... speaks volumes for his attention to business. ;):)

Reactions: shrews824
So, believe it or not I am still trying to make a decision on a 3D. I was waiting for the right sale bonuses from Smokin-It to pull the trigger. I figure that Father's Day will present them. I don't care about a cutting board and their sauce. I want rib hooks, a cover and mat so hopefully those come available this month as "freebies". This next week they are starting to ship the new PID controller they recently announced.

That all being said I did get side tracked looking at Rec-Tec pellet smokers, specifically the Bull 700. The reason being is because I started considering replacing my disposed of MES30 and aging Char-Broil grill with a smoker/grill accompanied by a propane griddle to cover all bases. I can't accommodate more than 2 pieces for outdoor cooking.

How many full racks of baby backs can a 3D hold, 10 at 2 per rack or do you have to remove every other rack for clearance?

I do 2 racks of baby back per rack. No crowding so air/smoke/heat is not impeded.

As for the freebies they are just Steve’s way of saying thanks. As for a cover and mat Steve will sell you what ever extras you want or need.

I do 2 racks of baby back per rack. No crowding so air/smoke/heat is not impeded.

As for the freebies they are just Steve’s way of saying thanks. As for a cover and mat Steve will sell you what ever extras you want or need.

Thanks! Do you run only the 4 racks it comes with or 5 racks?

I understand the freebies are just that. I just have been waiting to maximize the purchase since I am already outside of my budget here. I know the cover and hooks have been on prior promos so that is why I was holding out to see what the Memorial Day or Father's Day promos offered.

What is the max smoke time on the 3D without reloading wood? Let's say on a brisket.

When Steve was giving the covers away they were over stock and he was getting in a new style that was UV resistant.

For a brisket I put in 6 ounces of hickory chunks, typically 2 or 3 chunks, at the beginning. I lock down the smoker and walk away till it is finished, around 195 - 200 degrees. That is it. No additional wood.

Reactions: LandToSea
When Steve was giving the covers away they were over stock and he was getting in a new style that was UV resistant.

For a brisket I put in 6 ounces of hickory chunks, typically 2 or 3 chunks, at the beginning. I lock down the smoker and walk away till it is finished, around 195 - 200 degrees. That is it. No additional wood.

Well, shit, glad I mentioned it. Thanks for the insight!

Does it make smoke for the whole cook? If not, how long does it?

I get 2 to 4 hours of visible smoke. Not heavy but visible. I am sure that there is some residual wisps that are hard to see because of light. But the Smokey flavor really comes through. Pretty much a hands off process.

I get 2 to 4 hours of visible smoke. Not heavy but visible. I am sure that there is some residual wisps that are hard to see because of light. But the Smokey flavor really comes through. Pretty much a hands off process.
I guess I could always add an AMazeN if I needed a heavier smoke.

I could never get satisfactory baby back ribs from my MES 30.
Instead I can make ribs in my Smokin-It #3 (analog) that are the best I ever had. Put ribs in and 5 hours later check for doneness, no peek, no wrap required.
When I make pulled pork, everybody wants some to take home. I never get to eat left-overs.

I could never get satisfactory baby back ribs from my MES 30.
Instead I can make ribs in my Smokin-It #3 (analog) that are the best I ever had. Put ribs in and 5 hours later check for doneness, no peek, no wrap required.
When I make pulled pork, everybody wants some to take home. I never get to eat left-overs.
That's inspiring since my BB ribs were always awesome in the MES. I just hated the constant feeding of chips and babysitting. The AMazeN never stayed lit in it either. Maybe our humid air in S FL?

I’m in Tampa and yes, the humid air can be tough. Two things I did, raise my AMNPS with stainless screws for better airflow and run with the chip tray completely out. AMNPS now stays lit and produces great smoke.
C8798353-D2A8-4AE1-AAA1-0C87F11D7D08.jpeg

Bought my gen 1 30 in 2013 . I've learned it , and it's dialed in . Love it . Paid $149 for it on a black Friday sale .
That being said , if it decides it's done , I will go to a smokin it . The 30 will be a cold smoker . Never gonna get rid of it .

Reactions: SonnyE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky