Smokin-It Regular vs. Norman Cart?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Count Porcula

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2020
I feel like I should have gone all-in when I got my Smokin-It #2. It's a little aggravating, bending over to feed and clean it, and it would be nice to have a little horizontal space to hold things while I'm smoking.

Smokin-It has two carts. The expensive one is the Norman cart. It's a rolling cabinet with two shelves and a latching door. The cheaper cart has no doors and no shelves, but it has two wings that fold out to the sides to hold things.

Seems to me the wings would be more useful than the cabinet and shelves.

Any opinions based on experience?

Reactions: JC in GB
I can't really help you but hope you get the one best suited for you. I look at it this way. If I have the unit for a period of time would I want that function? It isn't like you can just tape a $50 on the thing to get the extra function after the initial purchase. Been burned by that a few times. Most recently was on a snowblower.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: jcam222
I couldn't find a BBQ cart that fit my needs or budget. So I just made one. And it does everything that I set out for it to do. If you're handy enough. Perhaps you could take the route.

here to watch the replies....been looking at Smokin' It, Smokin' Tex and Cookshak for my next smoker.

I looked at the Smokin' it website and I agree with you - would love to have the Norman cart with the fold-up tables that are only available on the other cart with no drawer or shelves..

Right now I use an aluminum Coleman Camping Table ($60 on Amazon Prime) next to my MES40.

1603835085832.png

Last edited:
Reactions: joetee
I like having an enclosed cabinet for storing shelves, wood, tin foil rolls, etc.
I used some filing cabinets to make my smoker carts. I also found an aluminum bakery cart for my #3 for $50. If I had the money, I would have gone for the norman.

Attachments

• Smokin-tex on cart.jpg
    Smokin-tex on cart.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 27
  • #3 on cart.jpg
    #3 on cart.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: jcam222
Like Steve I built my own.
Harbor Freight may have something that may work for you for a lot less $$$.

I have built a bunch of mobile stands for my workshop, and today I finished turning a Harbor Freight tool chest into a welding cart. I was thinking it would be nice to let someone else do the work this time.

I have a Smokin' It Model 2 as well as the smaller cart with no doors but with the side foldable shelves. I also have the Smokin' It cover that hangs down enclosing the bottom. I store my chips and chunks underneath and the cover keeps the weather out quite nicely. I use the side shelves quite a bit and as you already surmised, it is great not having to bend over to do anything. The wheels are sturdy and lockable. While I don't have any experience with the Norman cart, I can and do recommend the smaller/cheaper cart.

If I had a Smokin-It, I would choose the stability and work space of the Two Shelf Cart. That said, I kept my MES, til it died, on one of carts below. Sturdy, mobile and plenty of work space and storage...JJ

While the Smokin-It carts are nice I didn't want to spend that much on one so I got a Seville Classic cart from Amazon for my #1. Its plenty sturdy enough and has a lot of room for storage underneath. They also have shelf liners so you won't have to worry about dripping grease etc thru to the lower shelves. Which I ordered after the 1st smoke. :emoji_confounded: I bolted it thru the top shelf using large washers. The #2 should fit on it easily.
IMG_20190104_150601.jpg
IMG_20190104_150421.jpg

I have the 3D. While taller than the model 2. the bottom and center are at the same height. I am 6' 4" and will be 70 in December. I consider stooping and bending, and sometimes getting on my knees nothing more than flexibility exercises and the doctor did tell me to exercise more. However, I have to say getting back upright is a chore.

AMEN Sarge. Once on my knees, I need a chair to push on and my SIL pulling on my Belt to get up again. Dang Arthritis...JJ

Seville Classics makes some good stuff. I'm sitting in my gun room right now with two of their rolling shelf units and two workbenches.

I see that a number of Chinese companies like Seville Classics offer rolling stainless tables for less money than a Norman cart, and I think they would work better for me.

Something like a Gridmann Rolling SS Table, 36Wx24Dx36H, is around $150. I am curious if the Smokin-IT has to be screwed to the Table some how? That's a pretty top heavy set up...JJ

Reactions: Norwester55
Something like a Gridmann Rolling SS Table, 36Wx24Dx36H, is around $150. I am curious if the Smokin-IT has to be screwed to the Table some how? That's a pretty top heavy set up...JJ
The legs on the Smokin-It #1 and #2's (not sure about #3's) are drilled out and threaded for the wheels which makes it pretty easy to thru bolt to whatever you want to put it on. I don't think I'd want it just setting on something at least if I had to wheel it around much. One sharp corner or bump could ruin your day easily!

#1/#2 wheels
3CAST-R-2.jpg

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I bolted my smokers to the carts, but don't have a Smokin-It cart so can't say if they are predrilled or not.

The SI carts and cabinets are pre-drilled. There are photos on the website for each model and enlarging the photos show the details. Also, Steve, the owner of SI, will answer any questions that you may have regarding the carts/cabinets that the deceptions/photos do not cover. Just send an email.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky