Smokin-It jerky drier - DIY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Good day all. I wanted to put together a DIY jerky drier for my 3.5D. I had some parts laying around so I hacked this gem together.

I mounted a DC power supply and a PWM controller on top of a blower fan. The fan sits atop a soup can that will sit over the exhaust port. I will be drilling the proper size hole in the bottom of the can to fit the smoker exhaust port.

I am going to use JB Weld or perhaps just silicon RTV to secure the fan to the soup can and use magnets to hold it down over the smoker exhaust hole.

I got the incorrect fan for PWM use so I added a diode and capacitor to make it work. Not great speed control now but it will be sufficient. Replacing the fan with one that will accept PWM control will be a future update.

JC :emoji_cat:

Attachments

• FRONT Jerky drier.jpg
    FRONT Jerky drier.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 35
  • TOP Jerky drier.jpg
    TOP Jerky drier.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 35
Well, first attempt was a failure as magnets don't stick to non-ferrous metal. DOH! :emoji_dizzy_face: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_sunglasses:

Seeing as magnetism has failed me, I will be going to try and use gravity to do the hard work.

I am going to make a sacrificial mold and fill the can with mortar. That should be of sufficient mass to hold the can in place.

JC :emoji_cat:

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
After seeing the jerky drier Lonzinomaker Lonzinomaker made on a better screen, I understand his design far better.

I gave up on the tall chimney idea and followed Lonzinomaker's design and. Made the whole thing short and sweet.

I used gorilla contact cement to secure a Mason jar lid ring to the fan body.

I did a short test with it and it works great.

I also modified 2 racks in my smoker to accept jerky.

Looking forward to making a big batch of tasty jerky.

JC

Attachments

• 20220625_081212_HDR~2.jpg
    20220625_081212_HDR~2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220625_081300_HDR~2.jpg
    20220625_081300_HDR~2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220625_081246_HDR~2.jpg
    20220625_081246_HDR~2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
If you decide to update your fan, AC Infinty has a good line of fans and a controller and is what I went with. They're pricier now, just depends what you want spend. My #1 is quite a bit smaller than your 3.5 and the Axial 1225 (51 CFM) works well for me with the controller set to medium. They have fans that deliver from 22CFM-110CFM. I thought the controller would have infinite settings but its 3 presets, low, medium and high. If I was to do over I'd probably just use a light switch dimmer but it works good enough as is.

Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks for the info. I prefer centrifugal fans for their higher head pressure.

I will see how this works out before I spec out a new fan.

That fan set-up looks very easy to use.

JC

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky