Smokin-it 3 analog vs 3D Wi-Fi

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KetoJoe

Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2022
South Florida
Ok, based on what I’ve read here and the warranty, I’ve narrowed down my choice for an electric smoker to a Smokin-it model.

Now I need help. Should I get the model 3 analog and add an auber pid controller or should I just get the 3d Wi-Fi version.

Pros and cons for both ways please

Don't know how hard the PID conversion is. Nice to have it done already. Comes down to price I think.
HOWEVER... I've been told the Smokin It is a copy of the Cook Shack, and looking at the latches it is probable. Turns out smokin it is just a guy importing from China. Cook Shack is the original designer, and is a US company I believe. I like my Smokin it, but wish I'd known about Cook Shack before purchase... you should check them out too.

Here is my thread on the 2 fans I ended up adding to mine to get better airflow and drying for jerky.

Don't know how hard the PID conversion is. Nice to have it done already. Comes down to price I think.
HOWEVER... I've been told the Smokin It is a copy of the Cook Shack, and looking at the latches it is probable. Turns out smokin it is just a guy importing from China. Cook Shack is the original designer, and is a US company I believe. I like my Smokin it, but wish I'd known about Cook Shack before purchase... you should check them out too.

Here is my thread on the 2 fans I ended up adding to mine to get better airflow and drying for jerky.
Thank you. I hadn’t heard about that company. I believe in supporting local so if that‘s true and price is good, I’d rather put my money in US company

Last edited:
I have had the Smokin-it 2 analog for several years now and love it. I have replaced nothing but the drip foil in the bottom. I have an on/off temp control relay, no electronics. I came out of the instrumentation and controls industry, prob still have enough junk laying around to build a PID controller for it if I wanted. My question is why go to the trouble? The analog version is just like your oven. Keeps the temp within a range. Heat up 10', go down 10' from the set point. So what? Some people do their briskets like I do at 225, some people at 250, some people at 300, so what difference does a little temp swing for any of them make? You are not trying to brown the chicken skin with an exact temperature. You are trying to keep it heated on the outside to have the entire piece of me get to a desired temp where it starts getting tender for that particular chunk of meat. Does you kitchen oven ruin everything you put in it with an on/off heater control? Can the true stick burners keep their temp exact? Nope, but they turn out good stuff just like I do. Myself, I like the KISS method. JMO

D Dave in AZ Thank you for your honesty. After looking at that company, I still like the Smokin-It better.. I like the Wi-Fi feature and the wheels seem bigger. Nice to know the company is easy to deal with

Reactions: 801driver
801driver 801driver Thank you. The reason I am looking for PID is because I am looking to do sausage and cheese in this smoker. I have no plans to use it for brisket or other BBQ. For that I have a recteq and a Kamado Joe Classic series 3. When it comes to my other cooks, I agree, the temperature variance isn’t a huge deal but it can be with sausage

Don't know how hard the PID conversion is.
Should be plug and play with an analog smoker . Nothing to convert . Smoker gets plugged into the PID , PID gets plugged into power .
Smoker control set to high . Temp is set and controlled with the PID .

I was going to upgrade to a larger Smokin-It awhile back but things got in the way. I was going to go with the analog smoker and add an Auber PID because with the integrated version if something goes wrong with the PID, you're dead in the water. With the analog smoker you can still use it sans PID. Plus it was going to be a little less expensive to do it that way.

As chopsaw said, you can use the PID plug and play, or you can hard wire a wall mount probe and rocker switch so that you can easily switch between PID and analog smoking. Easy to do, it took me all of 45 minutes, but its not necessary.

Reactions: chopsaw
I have had the Smokin-it 2 analog for several years now and love it. I have replaced nothing but the drip foil in the bottom. I have an on/off temp control relay, no electronics. I came out of the instrumentation and controls industry, prob still have enough junk laying around to build a PID controller for it if I wanted. My question is why go to the trouble? The analog version is just like your oven. Keeps the temp within a range. Heat up 10', go down 10' from the set point. So what? Some people do their briskets like I do at 225, some people at 250, some people at 300, so what difference does a little temp swing for any of themake? You are not trying to brown the chicken skin with an exact temperature. You are trying to keep it heated on the outside to have the entire piece of me get to a desired temp where it starts getting tender for that particular chunk of meat. Does you kitchen oven ruin everything you put in it with an on/off heater control? Can the true stick burners keep their temp exact? Nope, but they turn out good stuff just like I do. Myself, I like the KISS method. JMO

Sounds like the OP is really asking about whether to buy a unit with an "integrated" PID vs. without then adding one. I don't have a PID so I can't respond to that.

That said, I've had a Smokin-It model 2 analog for a couple years myself. Very high quality unit; I'm very happy with it. I may add a PID later, but that's not a high priority for me.

I bought a #3 with the intent of adding a PID later. But so far three years later haven't felt the need to do so, but then I don't do sausages.
The digital Smokin-It models will heat to 325 and and the analogs don't get as hot if that matters to you. Don't know if that holds true for the add on controllers.

The digital Smokin-It models will heat to 325 and and the analogs don't get as hot if that matters to you. Don't know if that holds true for the add on controllers.
That's another good point , and something I didn't know .

In my area there are always used Smokin It and Smokin Tex smokers on FB Marketplace. In fact, a 2D used 3x for $250... TONS of MES too dirt cheap. I think you're on the right path with PID electric for sausage and pellet for BBQ like brisket. IMO nothing excels at EVERYTHING. Have not run anything yet but tested lots with my new Auber wifi + MES. It was AMAZING to see that kind of accuracy and expect it to work well for sausage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky