Smokin' Football Sunday!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
What a beautiful day for firing up the SQ36 and watching three great games on TV! Cousin Kurt will be over some time this morning for the extravaganza for some $5 bets, I'll take the two road teams and the Niners, I never bet against my team. Yesterday I picked up a sirloin tip roast that'll be for sammys later this week. Gave the roast a brushing of A-1 and Worcestershire, then a nice coating of Montreal Steak Seasoning, wrapped and in the fridge overnight.
DSCN1294.JPG

The main fare will be a rack of St. Louis pork ribs, brushed with mustard
DSCN1296.JPG

Then topped with a heavy coat of Chile's basic pork rub, also in the fridge for the evening
DSCN1298.JPG

Yesterday I took the bag of hickory logs that arrived from Cabelas and skilsaw'd them in half and split them with a hammer and ax, hands hurt this morning, but I'll have a lot better heat control after doing that. Got some tater salad and plenty of beer in the fridge, I'll fire the smoker up about ten, dinner will be when it's ready. More to come. RAY

I'm in this one for the long haul. Keep us posted Ray!! I believe Tracy wants fajitas today and I need to revise my seasoning for those...but it's something to do in between your updates.

Waiting....
Robert

I'm just getting ready to rumble Robert! The RO "lump" I got awhile back turned out to be a bag of tiny chips so I used a few Kingsford coals and a shovel full of the RO junk, threw the rest of the bag in the garbage. I'm going to burn down some nice chunks of oak to get a bed of coals and establish control. The plan is to go naked all the way, spritz with ACV. Time to light up! RAY
DSCN1305.JPG

Reactions: JC in GB
Someone is gonna be eating some tasty viddles soon! Looks like quality control is already waiting for ya. My wife can't hardly wait for the niner game tonight.

Watching also
Ryan

3 hours 20 minutes in, the tip roast got away from me by a few degrees but I'm thinking thin sliced it'll be just about right for sammys.
DSCN1308.JPG

At least I can monitor the temp of the ThermPro while I'm watching the game, time for another beer! RAY

That's a good one... the seahags!:emoji_laughing: but don't think I better go for packers... swmbo would frown at me. Plus it's the sil team, can't give him the satisfaction. But the food looks great, that makes you the winner!

Ryan

Well it turns out I won all the way around, and so did my mighty Niners! Cousin Kurt failed to appear, tho we won't put out a warrant for his arrest, he's sore from helping a old lady move yesterday. After almost nine hours from the beginning I was finally able to sit down to dinner. Spritzing every 20-30 minutes added a lot of time to the smoke, but you gotta do what you gotta do. The last hour I jacked the SQ36 up to about 310º and started probing with a toothpick when the IT hit 197º, I wasn't happy with that. Full perfection came at 203º, no resistance. I wrapped in foil and basted with SBR, let the rack sit for 20 minutes while I finished my third glass of single malt, I started with this
DSCN1195.JPG

Happy happy, juicy smoked ribs with a prefect bite, no FOTB.
DSCN1310.JPG

Some tater salad, beans, a glass of cab, life is good!
DSCN1311.JPG

Just enough room for a Blue Bunny before I stumble down the hall and hit the sack. Thanks for looking! RAY

Well it turns out I won all the way around, and so did my mighty Niners! Cousin Kurt failed to appear, tho we won't put out a warrant for his arrest, he's sore from helping a old lady move yesterday. After almost nine hours from the beginning I was finally able to sit down to dinner. Spritzing every 20-30 minutes added a lot of time to the smoke, but you gotta do what you gotta do. The last hour I jacked the SQ36 up to about 310º and started probing with a toothpick when the IT hit 197º, I wasn't happy with that. Full perfection came at 203º, no resistance. I wrapped in foil and basted with SBR, let the rack sit for 20 minutes while I finished my third glass of single malt, I started with this
View attachment 412644
Happy happy, juicy smoked ribs with a prefect bite, no FOTB.
View attachment 412649
Some tater salad, beans, a glass of cab, life is good!
View attachment 412650
Just enough room for a Blue Bunny before I stumble down the hall and hit the sack. Thanks for looking! RAY
Great looking eats right there! Sorry Packers game but GO HAWKS!

Hey Ray, that's a perfect temp for thin sliced sammies!
And the ribs look fantastic!Al

Thanks Al. I cut into the tip roast and it looks perfect, maybe I'll get around to doing some slicing later today. Moving a little slow this morning, not the sharpest pencil in the box. RAY

I'm with Ray, if there's not such a thing as bloody mary Monday then there should be! Had company all weekend lots of food, football and drinks (post coming). Maybe tomorrow, 50 degrees and sunny today, tomorrow winter storm watch, 6 to 9 inches of snow and 35 mph winds.

Ryan

Man that looks like a football smorgasbord for sure. You nailed them both. I bet those ribs were good and the Sammy meat is right on the money temp wise for me.

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky