1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smokin' an 8lb Butt as two 4lb halves?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by arkiebiker, Nov 8, 2013.

1. arkiebiker

arkiebiker Newbie

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I just got NEW MES 30" to replace my Cajun Injector. What I want to do is to smoke two 4lb butts (and 8lb cut in half). The reason I want to cook 2 halves is because I want to give my neighbor a half...and I'd rather give them the BUTT instead of pulled or sliced pork.

I know for an 8lb'er I usually cook 12-14 hours...so my question is how much less do I smoke these HALVES?

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wally

2. egledhill

egledhill Smoke Blower

I haven't smoked a butt yet but that's my next adventure(probably Monday) I've done a lot of research on the forum and what advice I can give from what I've read is it's not so much about time as it is about temp of the meat. Rule is approx 1 1/2 hour for every pound at 225 but I imagine that's for the whole piece. 2 4lbs would probably be around 6 hours if you're going by time.

When I do mine, I'm tossing it on for 2 hours then sticking a temp probe in it and waiting it out til it hits that 195-200 temp range

I'm sure someone far more seasoned than me can chime in if I'm wrong though

arkiebiker likes this.
  3. dburne

dburne Meat Mopper

I am doing my first butt today, picked up a 10 lb , deboned and cut in half .

I am interested to see how long mine will take, from what I understand here on the forums, from a timing perspective it should be app around the time for a 5 lb butt or so. I am shooting for 200-205 IT.