Smokin a turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Big-Guy I knew as soon I seen your screen name and the posting was about a bird it was going to be great!  Still drooling over those bird legs you done recently. lol  

Have to echo everyone else, that is one beautiful bird!  

I've got to get a couple to do some test runs before the big day next month, can't wait!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thirded? :) I guess?  I think I will stick to stuffing separately in the oven, and if I get fiesty, maybe toss it in the smoker (mesh pan) for the last hour of the birdsmoke.  I don't even stuff turkeys in the house...

Have to agree w/ piney on this one. Stuffed bird and smoking don't get along .

The stuffing may not get out the danger zone in the alloted time.

Hate it when my guest get mal de mere

I have a question sort of related to the topic at hand ... can a guy use any 5-gal bucket (provided it's new and clean and etc.) or does it have to be a "food safe" one?  I know I can get 5 gal buckets at Lowe's or Home Depot or the like...just not sure where I would get a "food safe" one if one is required.

I have a question sort of related to the topic at hand ... can a guy use any 5-gal bucket (provided it's new and clean and etc.) or does it have to be a "food safe" one?  I know I can get 5 gal buckets at Lowe's or Home Depot or the like...just not sure where I would get a "food safe" one if one is required.

I'll leave the toxic safety on this one to somebody else, but food grade buckets? I would first check with Dunkin' Donuts, and other bakery & donut shops. Also maybe fast food joints & restaurants.

Nice looking bird! Thanks for sharing.

But I had to look up "Spatchcock". That's what I love about this site: I learn something daily.

I'll leave the toxic safety on this one to somebody else, but food grade buckets? I would first check with Dunkin' Donuts, and other bakery & donut shops. Also maybe fast food joints & restaurants.
Sam's Club has them. Or you can use the BIG XXL Ziplocks. They are not re-useable, but they are food safe and I can wrangle them into my fridge a hell of a lot easier.

As Bear mentioned, stop by any bakery, they'll have cake icing buckets they'll be glad to give you.  Or if your fridge crisper drawer is big enough/or bird small enough to fit in what you have, that works great and doesn't take up any extra room in the fridge.  Couldn't believe my wife allowed me to do that with some chicken!! LOL

Big Guy,

Nice looking turkey. I am new to smoking, so I ask a lot of questions. Hope you don't mind.

What temp was your smoker at and how long did you smoke for? Did you use any kind of moisture in your smoker, like a water pan or something else? What wood did you use.

I am going to try a breast this weekend and a full bird for Thanksgiving and am a bit nervous about getting it right. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky