Smokey Gouda Fauxtatoes Au Gratin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Getting ready for tomorrow and since its too windy to smoke today I figured I would knock out a keto side dish. There will be plenty for our non keto guests but gotta have some for us too :) Wife has already made to keto desserts one being buckeye bars and the other cream cheese frosted pumpkin bars. My contribution other than smoking two turkey breasts in the morning is the following..

Ingredients:
2 1/2 large Daikon radishes (about 3 lbs.)
8 or 9 cups of grated cheese (split between smoked gouda and sharp cheddar
3.5 cups heavy cream
12 TBSP butter
10 TBSP Almond flour
2 medium onions diced
1 cup or so of finely chopped bacon pieces

Here are my daikon for the dish. One peeled and two to go. Very radish smelling at this step but once we get to the end no hint of radish flavor at all.

daikon.jpg

All sliced nice and thin using a mandolin and soaking in some salt water while I get some of the other steps done. I did not capture a pic of cooking them but pretty straight forward. Boil them in the same saltwater until fork tender. and then drain. Drain them really well, even helps to blot them out on paper towel or a towel.

daikon sliced soaking.jpg

About 20 oz. of extra sharp cheddar and 12 oz. of smoke Gouda shredded. Made about 6 cups I would say. (added more after pic was taken)

grated cheese.jpg

Cooking up a couple onions in 2 TBSP butter. Onions are a must in pretty much everything!! Just the smell of onions cooking makes me hungry. Setting these aside then and moving on to the sauce.
onions.jpg

Getting ready to make the sauce. Sauce is made up of the 3 1/2 heavy cream, about 6 cups of cheese blend (or so) (2 saved for topping) , 10 TBSP almond flour and 10 TBSP Butter

ingredients.jpg

Start by making a roux by melting the butter and briskly whisking in the almond flour. Believe it or not the almond flour makes a very nice roux.
rou.jpg

Added in the cream and brought to a boil. Reduce heat and add the roughly 4 cups of cheeses stirring until you have a nice creamy cheese sauce.
adding cheese to rue.jpg

Layering in the pan now. About half the Daikon in the greased pan , onions and sauce, rinse repeat a second time.

layering.jpg

Topping it off now with about 2 cups of cheese and the minced bacon. This will go in the oven at 375F for about 25 to 20 minutes.

ready to bake 2.jpg

Out of the oven steaming hot and dusted with a little smoked paprika to finish it.
finished with paprika.jpg

Well that's it. I did feed a small sample to one of our sons who is home and told him it was scalloped potatoes. He loved it and almost didn't believe it when I told him it was radish based. Thanks for looking!! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!
EDIT - Well after it cooled and I reheated a bit to try I found it to be too watery . I whipped up more sauce, mixed it all together , re garnished with cheese and bacon and re- baked. Now I am satisfied. Amounts above updated to reflect the need for additional sauce.

Last edited:
Looks and sounds really good Jcam.

Point for sure
Chris

looks delicious, got to say I never heard of daikon
It’s a big Asian radish. Completely loses the radish taste when cooked just takes on the flavors it’s vooked In

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky