smokers and my neighbors...Laws???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The only neighbor within 200 Yards of my house is my son, and he can't usually smell my MES 30, because his MES 40 is smoking too.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I think most ordinances have rules about "offensive smells", but I don't think that would count anything anyone on this forum would be smoking!

Bearcarver

Let's say there's 50 houses in your neighborhood. Then lets say 49 of the 50 like to grill/smoke. The true liberal solution would be for the 49 to cease cooking to appease the 1. Heaven forbid the 1 would have to close their window or move.

I'd say save the free food for your other neighbors. When Miss PETA comes and complains, throw on the most disgusting, pungent smelling thing you can get your hands on for about a half hour. Then go give the free food to your other neighbors for putting up with the smell.

I own a condo town home and have never had an issue. Most HOA's or Condo unit of ownerships would not have any bylaws agaisnt grilling or smoking, other the safety issues.

If she keeps it up, contact a lawyer and have them write a letter to her stating that she is harassing you and if it continues you will take legal action. This is after of course you trying to settle it with a nice talk.

Do a pre emptive strike.. Smoke a couple pork shoulders and take a big foil serving pan of Pulled Pork down to your local fire dept with a couple bags fo CWB. They will remember you..

This thread is GREAT!!!
biggrin.gif

I buy ribs by the 3 pack all the time, it's just me and the wife so I am always taking racks or PP to my neighbors. Not only do they LOVE it, but I now have 2 Grad parties to do over the next couple weeks because of it!!

My hunting buddy's wife told me to stop cuz she is too tempted to go off her diet!!!... that's not my problem
icon_cool.gif
biggrin.gif
He tells me to keep it coming!!!

Lots of great stories and tips!

I don't have that issue around here...we all pretty much just mind our own business and have friendly curb-side chats now and then, and keep an eye on each others' homes for suspicious activity...it's just a nice, quite place. Of course, there are those few who we don't like to associate with...the usual.

There is one fella in the neighborhood a few blocks away who has a pot-belly stove with a 4" vent stack about 10 feet tall. I've seen that thing fired up about once a month for the past year, and I can't help but to wonder what he was doing...a thick column of white smoke would be coming off that rig for hours. I've never taken the time to drop by and knock on his door to see what he's up to (almost never see him outside his house), but I sure hope he's not smoking meat on open grates...would be a terrible waste of meat and time. Maybe he does a covered dutch oven meal in it...or, possibly, he's doing a pre-burn with a low oxygen environment for a hot bed of coals before he throws something in to cook. Does he know what he's doing? I may never know, but, I'm not going to worry about it.

That's just an example of how someone's thought's could be carried towards judging someone else...I do my best to refrain from it.

Anyway, I don't allow myself to me consumed by someone's activities, especially when they aren't doing any harm. Unfortunately, some areas have a denser population of those who don't understand the unwritten basic neighborly rule: don't mess with me and I'll do the same for you.

As for the nosy neighbors and control freaks, I can only say: I don't go to your church or temple to interrupt your religious ceremonies just because I don't believe in the same religion. In return, I expect you to not come into my smoking sanctuary to interrupt my method of food preparation just because you don't believe in it.

If people are too hard-headed to realize that they have a responsibility towards respecting others' rights, then they should expect they're rights to be violated as well. It's a 2-way street, so pick a lane and go with the flow
icon_wink.gif

Eric

Maybe it's just better to just shoot em straight away. Don't want em to get a chance to breed now do we?

Just kidding. Well maybe it's really more of a case of wishful thinking.

Just try living in the the Peoples Republic of California for a while and you'll soon understand why I am the way I am. It's like a really bad infestation that you don't want to get out of control in your area. It's a lot like kudzu in many respects.

Well the first time my Lang was fired under my carport a fireman from accros the road came over telling me he was worried when he saw the smoke. LOL I said a fireman that can't tell the difference between a butt and structual lumber better set down and have some supper. Numerous events and a free package of sausage or two later he shows up with a beer and is ready to eat. LOL

LMAO,
Rick, He knew what was up. He just knew it smelled good and he had a good excuse to come get some.

Your not breaking any laws. Smoke it and enjoy. Maybe she needs to get out of the house. Let her know a day in advance so she can take off to a WTO rally or what ever the protest of the week is.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Around here when i fire the smoker up the neighbors all show up to eat or they call & ask what's for dinner this weekend !!! Guess i'm fotunate enough to have good neighbors & live in the country!!!!

Same happened here. Nosey neighbor who keeps eyes out on all the neighbors called on us after a long morning of smoking on Veterns Day. Called the FD and said we was burning construction waste. Two engines arrived and as they walked around the corner of the house the wife just asked "what kinda sauce you boys like"? It's still a family joke.

After finally surviving a 2 day hangover, i just came back here and wow!! I must have hit a common nerve. I have to say that i love the colorful humor that is being thrown around. Great antics!! So far, the cops have never been called, the fire dept. hasnt been notified, and my attempt to offer the husband some of my latest smoke went un-appreciated. eh.. you win some you lose some. To top it all off, later that night... he fired up his little charcoal grill and grilled up something. Not sure what though. Maybe tofu burgers or eggplant steaks.
Que cera cera... Its all good. I'll just keep on smoking, and they will just keep on sucking. By the way, i will post qview of my flat iron roast soon. It turned out great!!!

Last year I was useing a rotisserie cooking a small lamb and one of my neighbor thought I was cooking my dog and called PETA on me, so the police showed up and did a report; wrote it up as a small lamb and not a dog, my neighbor and his whole family are vegie lovers (no meat at all) and are against the killing of animals of any kind.

City ordinance, yes. HOA's do not have the authority even if its in their HOA contract. My HOA was so gestapo that finally we had to settle things up in court. Now a new crew has been voted in that is more understanding.

I live up the street from an Islamic mosque. The Arab's are not happy when they have to put up with my smok'n; especially pig. I cured that by hanging a deer in my front yard to bleed out. Later, I put the carcass in the trash after butchering. Arab's leave me alone now thinking no 57 virgins for him.

The rest of the neighborhood love my smoker. There's always a pulled pork sandwich treat along with a home brew to wash it down to any who come
over.

Bwahahahhahaha.

That's funny.

For crying out loud...seriously?!?!? That's just wacko.

I worried a bit about my smoker. I live in the city, and most lots on my block are about 37 feet wide. I just make sure it's not blowing directly into open windows of my neighbors. So far...so good. I actually can recently smell someone else on my block got a smoker. I could sense a little mesquite TBS not too far away. Maybe it will catch on??
icon_smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky