Smoker went out last night - is my pork butt okay?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
SmokinEdge - Ya think I can borrow that brush? I want to paint a barn in just a few strokes. :emoji_wink:

Roo - The first time I failed to keep an eye on my pellet level, I was reminded of a piece of advice (just as applicable to drivers, boaters, campers, cooks, and plenty others, I'm sure): "There are two kinds: those who have run out of fuel and those who will." Fortunately, yes, a low temp alarm can save the day - and the meat!

Hey guys, sorry for the late response. Bummer I had to throw the pork butt away. Pregnant wife and family in town and just didn't want to chance getting everyone sick. I did throw it in the oven for a few hourse that morning and tried it when I took it out. It was AMAZING! I was so bummed I had to throw it away. And I didn't get sick lol.

So, my problem was that I'm using a Traeger Scout (the portable smoker) and it ran out of pellets during the night. It was my first time trying the Scout and didn't expect that to happen.

Thank you for all of your responses! I've learned a lot and can't wait to try again. That was my very first time smoking.
Thanks for checking in. The reason for all the questions is simply this.... baddies that live on the surface are your front line enemy, but they slow multiplication and die as the surface temp nears and passes 145°. The inside of a non-disturbed whole muscle roast is somewhat safe from bacteria. So we did not know all the variables of your particular cook. Every "help, my fire went out" post is slightly different.

That said, if the bone was removed, or you injected the roast, studded it with garlic or herbs, etc..... some baddies can now get into the roast and they are multiplying as the roast is warming in the smoker. So now the internal temp of the roast needs to get to 145°+ within a few hours to slow the multiplication and kill those little guys too. In the case of a butt, you will eventually take the internal to around 200°. This is the same reasoning behind cooking ground pork to 160°.... surface bacteria has been introduced to all of the meat during grinding.

Smaller roasts heat up quicker than large roasts, and of course a high pit temp heats the roast quicker than a low pit temp, so these are factors too.

Will Do! Thanks guys! Yeah, do you guys stay away from overnight smokes?

I never do Unattended overnight smokes:
My Smokers were all Electric, but they were on my front Porch, attached to an All Wood House, under a Wood Front porch roof. My Family is too valuable to me to Smoke overnight, or unattended. Anything can happen.

Bear

Last edited:
Since all I have is an offset stick burner and a Weber kettle I would say never.
Even if I had an electric or pellet cooker I wouldn't think of having something going on all night unsupervised.
I wouldn't be able to sleep.....
I've seen enough of these "smoker stopped overnight" posts to convince me.

Reactions: chopsaw
I never do Unattended overnight smokes:
My Smokers were all Electric, but they were on my front Porch, attached to an All Wood House, under a Wood Front porch roof. My Family is too valuable to me to Smoke overnight, or unattended. Anything can happen.

Bear
You nailed it John.

No, I cook through the night all the time. My most common is cold smoking a ham or slabs of bacon... but I'm running a pellet tube which gives me 6 or 7 hours of burn time. I'll have one tube going and I'll start a new tube around midnight which will burn until morning.

I've done more overnight barbecue cooks on my large Big Green Egg. They have a long time on a full load of charcoal, and once dialed in, then don't take much adjustment. I generally have a Maverick pit probe with the remote on the night stand. I also have an early (analog) forced draft fan for the Egg. I still just run the pit probe but it has worked flawlessly. I can only imagine what the new digital and bluetooth controllers can do. Here is the set-up during an overnight cook.... the temperature fell to -20°F, but once all the ceramic gets hot, Eggs cook just like it was July 4th. :emoji_laughing:

y6jVoMd.jpg

My drums are another story. I oversized the charcoal baskets so I'll get 18+ hours of burn time. They rarely need adjustment, but just in case I still put my Maverick in there to watch the pit temp. My drums love to run at 260°, which is fine during the night.

ran out of pellets during the night. It was my first time trying the Scout and didn't expect that to happen.

Welcome to SMF.
We are truly sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience and know how frustrating it is when something unexpected happens.
You have received excellent advice from everyone above.
I would like to point out a couple more observations.
First, never attempt an overnight cook as your first cook on a new smoker.
Get a few short day time smokes under your belt to learn the characteristics of your new smoker.
There is no such thing as a 'set and forget' smoker. They all require interaction because stuff happens such as running out of pellets, power outages, etc.

Secondly, your particular smoker has a four pound hopper capacity. On average, a pellet smoker will consume one pound of pellets per hour dependent on temperature set point, oustide ambient temperature, wind conditions, the amount of meat in the smoker, etc.
So, you probably won't be doing many if any overnight smokes while having an uninterrupted sleep. You will need to get up and refill the hopper with more pellets if you plan on getting more than fours of shut-eye.

I frequently do overnight PB and brisket smokes. However, I have a large uncovered brick patio addition that allows me to keep my electric smoker a safe distance from the house during all smokes so that if my smoker ever goes Chernobyl it is far enough away from the house as to not burn it down. Then again, my remote digital thermometer is programmed to alert me to under and over temp conditions.
For an electric smoker, mine is a solid performer. Do I absolutely trust it? NOPE!

P.S. Good call in putting the pork butt in the oven. You should have kept going and crossed the finish line. We love Q vues here. Post up some your next cooks.

Welcome to SMF. You certainly jumped in with both feet and learned a valuable lesson. Get to know that Smoker with some short, easy cooks, your fav Chicken Parts or Pork Butt Steaks and Country Style Ribs, are all good choices. Then tackle the Big Cuts. Get yourself a Good Remote Thermometer with Alarms. Our sponsor INKBIRDBBQ runs online specials all the time.

Inquire if this is still valid...JJ

I would go with Steve's choice...JJ

I am really jealous of the cojones on that guy! Church, breakfast, then 18 holes... all while your first smoke is just rolling along at home. The easy life! You know he talked to his buddies the whole 18 about the brisket he was going to have later that night from his new super expensive big green egg.
It was a combination of slick advertising and reading between the lines on the early ceramic BBQ forums. Before I bought one, the only ads for Eggs I ever saw were in the airline magazines they put in the pouch of the seat in front of you. I researched them for a couple of weeks and had to make a 600 mile round trip to buy one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky