Smoker turned off overnight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

jamonax

Original poster
Nov 20, 2022
Hey all! New to the forum and had a question about what next steps I should follow.

Smoking a brisket and overnight it seems I ran out of pellets. Made it from about 10pm-4am at 225. Checked the brisket and wrapped. Temp was at 160. Can back to check at 730a and the temp had fallen to about 80. Refueled the fire, but am concerned about quality and safety of the meat. Any advice?

Reactions: Gateman

jamonax

Original poster
Nov 20, 2022
IT was 160 yes, but it dropped to about 80 for my guess is an hour 2 at the most. 30 degrees outside I assume dropped pretty quickly. I put it back on to reach the desired temp. Assuming it might just be a bit dryer than what it could have been?

schlotz

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Sorry to hear you had to deal with this. Definitely agree with Steve, if it had reached an IT of 160º before then you are good to go. Now, running out of pellets hmm... this is avoidable. A wifi/bluetooh monitoring probe for the grate can warn with an alarm on your phone next to the bed when the temp drops to below what it is set for. Always good to think about what could happen and prepare for it vs winging it and waking up to an issue.

Reactions: TNJAKE

jamonax

Original poster
Nov 20, 2022
I had a thermometer, but misplaced it during a recent move. Definitely going to invest in a new one asap

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Here's a good read on food safety and the guidelines.

Chris

Bigtank

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Jul 10, 2018
Algona IA
It's happened to me before to. As a rule now on long cooks, when I check the meat, I check the hopper. Your going to take it to IT 200 - 205 you will be fine safety wise. Because of temp fluctuations it might be a little tough. Good Luck

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
In theory, (and with a few exceptions) the majority of the baddies are on the external surface of whole muscle meat and they slow down multiplication as the meat surface gets in the higher 120°s And once over 140° they start to die off. Wrapping when you did provided a bit more safety. An easy fix when a fire dies later in the cook, is to put your brisket in the oven. It will recover faster, and being wrapped you won't get any more flavor from the smoker.

kADWVA6.jpg

tbern

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 27, 2015
Southwest Minnesota
Welcome to the forum from Minnesota! Looks like a new thermometer for you for an early Christmas present!

Latest posts