Smoker Still In Box

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scredx3

Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
OH
I was at my local BBQ joint a few weeks ago and decided I was going to try and smoke my own ribs at home. I did a little research and ended up ordering a Landmann 3495GW "Smoky Mountain Series". It just got delivered a couple hours ago. Any advice for a new guy? Whats the easiest food/meat to practice with? I hate to throw $100 worth of ribs on my first attempt and screw them up. 

If you have good thermometers, I think a pork butt/shoulder is a great piece to start with.  At an average of around $2/lbs on sale, you can do a pretty good size piece of meat (which will be a little more forgiving) than something thin cut like ribs.  Maintain smoker temp at around 240 and achieve internal temp of around 200 and it is pretty foolproof.

Thanks for all the advice. I went to our local butcher shop (Paulus Brothers Butcher Shop) and bought a little of everything (chicken, pork ribs, brisket, Italian sausage, and pork chops) I'm off work until Monday so I have a few days to experiment. I have my smoker "seasoning" right now. I'm going to start smoking some chicken sometime tomorrow.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

MERRY CHRISTMAS from GARY in EAST TEXAS

I've officially smoked my first piece of meat. The chicken itself had a good taste, but I wasn't a huge fan of the rub I used. It was much spicier than I care for. I still feel pretty good about my overall results. I struggled with temp control. Adjusting vents for temp control is tough when you don't have much experience. Any suggestions?

That why it's important to get to know your smoker, (and your seasonings) it takes a few times. Chicken is cheap and doesn't take 12 or 14 hours to cook. Practice on some more chicken till you have your smoker figured out and the seasonings you like.

Merry Christmas & good luck

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky